Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Donovan Allen <al...@Zoo.org> on 2006/01/23 22:30:15 UTC

Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error

Wondering if Win32 build is working.  Followed the directions on th Embperl website and no luck.

Apache refused to start, popping up an error at the "PerlModule Embperl" directive, so I ran embpexec.bat, which popped up the same error in a windows dialog box.

The error is:
   The procedure entry point xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue could not be located in the dynamic link library
   libxml2.dll.

When running the bat file, I also get the expected error from Dynaloader:

    Can't load 'C:/devtools/perl/site/lib/auto/Embperl/Embperl.NoApache.dll' for module Embperl: load_file:The
    specified procedure could not be found at C:/devtools/perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
    at C:\devtools\perl\bin\embpexec.bat line 37
    Compilation failed in require at C:\devtools\perl\bin\embpexec.bat line 37.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\devtools\perl\bin\embpexec.bat line 37.

Versions of the bits:
    ActiveState Perl: 5.8.7
    Mod_perl 1 (what ever version comes with mod_perl-1.ppd)
    Embperl-1.ppd was used
    Apache/1.3.34 (Win32)

My libxml2.dll came from theoryx5 (twice, first by Embperl install and second time a manual download), but I also tried a win32 build from the libxml project.  Exact same error.

Yes, libxml2.dll is found in the path, other you would get an error that it could not be found.

I did notice someone else posted this problem to the list, but I did not see any follow up solutions.

I have Embperl running on Win32 under AS perl 5.6 from an install I did long ago, but I have to be on 5.8.x for this project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi Randy,

>     You're right that this is a problem with a mismatched
> libxml2 dll from our site. I'll make up a new package this
> weekend (my Windows computer died last week, and I'm in the
> process of rebuilding things).

Thanks very much!

Gerald

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Gerald Richter wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> The Embperl-1 Package
> (http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/x86/Embperl-1.tar.gz), seems to be a
> little out of date (is still 2.0b9) and does not load anymore due to an
> updated libxml (see below).
>
> Is there any chance that you compile a new version of the Embperl ppm
> package and put it online?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Gerald

Hi Gerald,

--
best regards,
Randy

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi Randy,

Posted by RobertCZ <ro...@robert.cz>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> Wow, I'm impressed! Yes, that does fix the problem. I've placed an
> Embperl ppm package up at
>   http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
> for ActivePerl 8xx, based on 2.2.0; this doesn't have
> mod_perl-1 support built in, as I'm having (local)
> difficulties with this, but it does include libxml2
> support (a post-install script should offer to download
> the relevant external dlls for you).

Excellent! Randy, any chance this becomes part of your all-in-one
distribution?

- Robert

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Gerald Richter wrote:

> Do you see any chance to create a version with mod_perl-1 at later time?

I've now placed a Win32 ppm package (called Embperl-1)
for ActivePerl 8xx that includes mod_perl-1 support at
    http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
This also includes libxml2 support. Let me know if you
find troubles with it - thanks.

--
best regards,
Randy

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Wow, I'm impressed! Yes, that does fix the problem.

Seems like Perl redefines the stat call in an incompatible way, so the
returned struct is bigger than the original one, which has overwritten some
data..

> I've
> placed an Embperl ppm package up at
>    http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
> for ActivePerl 8xx, based on 2.2.0; this doesn't have

Great! Thanks!

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Gerald Richter wrote:

>> Wondering if Win32 build is working.  Followed the directions
>> on th Embperl website and no luck.
>>
>> Apache refused to start, popping up an error at the
>> "PerlModule Embperl" directive, so I ran embpexec.bat, which
>> popped up the same error in a windows dialog box.
>>
>> The error is:
>>    The procedure entry point xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue could
>> not be located in the dynamic link library
>>    libxml2.dll.
>>

> Looks like a version mismatch, that Embperl is compiled for a different
> version of libxml2

I'm afraid I haven't had any luck building the latest
Embperl for perl-5.8 on Win32, even without mod_perl
support - the tests immediately crash with an access
violation in the perl58 dll. This problem doesn't happen
with perl-5.6. I'll try to debug things to see where
it's failing.

--
best regards,
Randy Kobes

RE: Win32 Embperl fails to run with libxml2.dll error

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Wondering if Win32 build is working.  Followed the directions
> on th Embperl website and no luck.
>
> Apache refused to start, popping up an error at the
> "PerlModule Embperl" directive, so I ran embpexec.bat, which
> popped up the same error in a windows dialog box.
>
> The error is:
>    The procedure entry point xmlLoadExtDtdDefaultValue could
> not be located in the dynamic link library
>    libxml2.dll.

Looks like a version mismatch, that Embperl is compiled for a different
version of libxml2

Did you have the old libxml2 and libxslt dlls from you 5.6 install? Could
you try these?

If not I can send you mine per private email

Gerald