Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by bmullan <bm...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/06 19:16:06 UTC

ERROR: Unable to bind socket to any addresses - guacd & target desktop on same server

I have a cloud server running Ubuntu 18.04

On that server I have installed ubuntu-mate desktop, guacamole, tomcat8,
nginx and xrdp (latest versions of all)

I configured Guacamole for an RDP connection to "localhost" since both guacd
and the mate desktop & xrdp are all co-resident.

From my home machine I can successfully log into the remote mate desktop

However from a terminal on the remote desktop I see the following:

$ *ps -ax | guacd*
guacd[23990]: INFO:	Guacamole proxy daemon (guacd) version 0.9.14 started
*guacd[23990]: ERROR:	Unable to bind socket to any addresses.*

bmullan@test-guac:~$ *netstat --tcp --listen --numeric-port*s
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q   Send-Q         Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp         0              0               localhost:3306
0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp         0              0               0.0.0.0:80
0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp         0              0               test-guac:53
0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp         0              0               localhost:53
0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp         0              0               0.0.0.0:22
0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
*tcp         0              0               localhost:4822
0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN  *
tcp         0              0               localhost:631
0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp         0              0               0.0.0.0:443
0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp6       0              0               localhost:8005           [::]:*
LISTEN
tcp6       0              0               [::]:8080
[::]:*                     LISTEN
tcp6       0              0               test-guac:53               [::]:*
LISTEN
tcp6       0              0               [::]:22
[::]:*                     LISTEN
tcp6       0              0               ip6-localhost:3350      [::]:*
LISTEN
tcp6       0              0               ip6-localhost:631        [::]:*
LISTEN
tcp6       0              0               [::]:3389
[::]:*                     LISTEN

I am not sure what to do about the error:   *ERROR:	Unable to bind socket to
any addresses*
or why I am seeing it unless it has something to do with both guacd and my
remote desktop target being on the same server ?

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

NOTE:  I can log into that server okay via RDP (via xrdp) and get the
desktop access.

thanks
brian

Re: ERROR: Unable to bind socket to any addresses - guacd & target desktop on same server

Posted by bmullan <bm...@gmail.com>.
geez sorry about the formatting... I used the apache guacamole general/user
mailing list editor to write up the submission ??

Re: ERROR: Unable to bind socket to any addresses - guacd & target desktop on same server

Posted by brian mullan <bm...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the noise Mike... I fat fingered the cmd and didnt catch it

On Sep 6, 2018 3:23 PM, "Mike Jumper" <mi...@glyptodon.org> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 12:16 PM, bmullan <bm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a cloud server running Ubuntu 18.04
>
> On that server I have installed ubuntu-mate desktop, guacamole, tomcat8,
> nginx and xrdp (latest versions of all)
>
> I configured Guacamole for an RDP connection to "localhost" since both
> guacd
> and the mate desktop & xrdp are all co-resident.
>
> From my home machine I can successfully log into the remote mate desktop
>
> However from a terminal on the remote desktop I see the following:
>
> $ *ps -ax | guacd*
> guacd[23990]: INFO:     Guacamole proxy daemon (guacd) version 0.9.14
> started
> *guacd[23990]: ERROR:   Unable to bind socket to any addresses.*

You probably meant to run:

$ ps -ax | grep guacd

You are seeing this error because you are piping the output of "ps -ax" to
a new guacd process, but that new guacd process is refusing to run because
guacd is already running.

bmullan@test-guac:~$ *netstat --tcp --listen --numeric-port*s
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q   Send-Q         Local Address           Foreign Address
>
> State
>
> *tcp         0              0               localhost:4822
> 0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN  *

Presumably, the process listening on port 4822 (guacd's default port) is
your existing guacd process.

- Mike

Re: ERROR: Unable to bind socket to any addresses - guacd & target desktop on same server

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.org>.