Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/15 06:08:39 UTC

How to connect lines in Writer?

A while back, I asked some questions about opening a text file in Calc, as
text, CSV. I solved the CSV part of it, but I was using notepad++ on
Windows 7, to prepare the file.

I'm still on Windows 7 and have Open Office 4.1.2.

What I want to do is prepare the file using Open Office Writer, instead of
notepad++.

An example of the text is:

USER: nIckmenza ACCESS: 250 L
CHANNEL: #arlington AUTOMODE: OP
LAST SEEN: 0 days, 02:45:30 ago.
LAST MODIFIED: pomol Sir^POMOL!Digital@pomol.users.undernet.org 4087 days,
09:31:38 ago
USER: NaV1GaToR ACCESS: 250
CHANNEL: #arlington AUTOMODE: OP
LAST SEEN: 1572 days, 05:19:23 ago.
LAST MODIFIED: pomol Sir^POMOL!Digital@sirpomol.net 5181 days, 12:13:11 ago
USER: nite ACCESS: 100
CHANNEL: #arlington AUTOMODE: OP
LAST SEEN: 0 days, 22:15:01 ago.
LAST MODIFIED: monalisa2 Moniq!asilanom@monalisa2.users.undernet.org 20
days, 16:34:36 ago
USER: okidoki ACCESS: 100 L
CHANNEL: #arlington AUTOMODE: OP
LAST SEEN: 0 days, 17:27:17 ago.
LAST MODIFIED: darxide dxd-!~dxd@darxide.users.undernet.org 40 days,
07:29:15 ago
USER: pomol ACCESS: 500
CHANNEL: #arlington AUTOMODE: OP
LAST SEEN: 0 days, 12:34:17 ago.
LAST MODIFIED: bobskc BobsKC!BobsKC@bobskc.users.undernet.org 4240 days,
02:36:24 ago

What I want to do is make all of the data about each individual user be on
ONE line, so that it will open and appear all on a single line, in Calc.

In notepad++ I would \r\nCHANNEL Find and Replace to CHANNEL, which would
cause the CHANNEL lines to append themselves to the above line, and then
\r\nLAST would do the other lines which begin with LAST (losing the
MODIFIED and SEEN).

How can I do the same thing in Writer, to make the data for each user in a
single line?

Like:

USER: okidoki ACCESS: 100 L CHANNEL: #arlington AUTOMODE: OP LAST SEEN: 0
days, 17:27:17 ago. LAST MODIFIED: darxide dxd-!~
dxd@darxide.users.undernet.org 40 days, 07:29:15 ago

I wouldn't mind knowing how to elimiate the colon ":" after USER: AUTOMODE:
SEEN: AND MODFIED: without eliminating the colons in all of the times? The
obvious way is Find and Replace each one R: E: N: and D:, is there a more
efficient way, maybe a regex for letters not numbers?

Thanks so much for your help!

Linda

Re: How to connect lines in Writer?

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
Download this AltSearch extension from:

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/alternative-dialog-find-replace-writer-altsearch

With this extension you can use regex expressions

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 01:08 15/11/2016 -0500, Linda Hull wrote:
>I[...] have Open Office 4.1.2.

With a free product, there is rarely any reason to stick with older versions.

>What I want to do is prepare the file using Open Office Writer,
>instead of notepad++.

If you already have something that serves the purpose, why change?

>An example of the text is:
>USER: nIckmenza ACCESS: 250 L
>CHANNEL: #arlington AUTOMODE: OP
>LAST SEEN: 0 days, 02:45:30 ago.
>LAST MODIFIED: pomol Sir^POMOL!Digital@pomol.users.undernet.org 4087
>days, 09:31:38 ago
>[etc.]
>
>What I want to do is make all of the data about each individual user
>be on ONE line, so that it will open and appear all on a single
>line, in Calc. [...] How can I do the same thing in Writer, to make
>the data for each user in a single line? Like:
>USER: okidoki ACCESS: 100 L CHANNEL: #arlington AUTOMODE: OP LAST
>SEEN: 0 days, 17:27:17 ago. LAST MODIFIED: darxide
>dxd-!~dxd@darxide.users.undernet.org 40 days, 07:29:15 ago

o Go to Edit | Find & Replace... (or Ctrl+F).
o Click More Options and tick "Regular expressions".
o Search for $ and Replace with a single space.
o Now search for USER: and replace with \n& .

You might find it useful to replace with a semicolon instead of a
space in the first case. Then, when you use Paste Special... to paste
the result into your spreadsheet, you can tick Semicolon under
"Separated by" in the Text Import window in order to separate the
text into different columns across the rows.

>I wouldn't mind knowing how to eliminate the colon ":" after USER:
>AUTOMODE: SEEN: AND MODIFIED: without eliminating the colons in all
>of the times? The
>obvious way is Find and Replace each one R: E: N: and D:, is there a
>more efficient way, maybe a regex for letters not numbers?

Yup. If the relevant colons are the only ones that appear after
alphabetic characters instead of digits, search for ([:alpha:]): and
replace with $1 (again with "Regular expressions" ticked).

With your data in the spreadsheet, you may find Data | Text to
Columns... useful in reformatting it.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: How to connect lines in Writer?

Posted by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com>.
Brian,

You said:
o Go to Edit | Find & Replace... (or Ctrl+F).
o Click More Options and tick "Regular expressions".
o Search for $ and Replace with a single space.
o Now search for USER: and replace with \n& .

When I put USER or CHANNEL in the 'Search for' box, and replace with \n&,
it's adding a space above the line where USER or CHANNEL occurs?

I want it to append the line with USER or CHANNEL to the line above. Did I
do this wrong?

Linda

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 03:36 15/11/2016 -0500, Linda Hull wrote:
>Brian, Fantastic! This is what I needed!

Good-oh!

>You are always so good!

How kind!

At 22:44 15/11/2016 -0500, Linda Hull wrote:
>You said:
>o Go to Edit | Find & Replace... (or Ctrl+F).
>o Click More Options and tick "Regular expressions".
>o Search for $ and Replace with a single space.
>o Now search for USER: and replace with \n& .
>
>When I put USER or CHANNEL in the 'Search for' box, and replace with
>\n&, it's adding a space above the line where USER or CHANNEL occurs?

Er, it will!

>I want it to append the line with USER or CHANNEL to the line above.

I understood from what you said before that you wanted to do this
with CHANNEL: but *not* with "USER:".

>Did I do this wrong?

Possibly.

Your example text had multiple lines (paragraphs, in fact) for each
individual but also multiple individuals. I suggested two processes
here. The first one is to search for $ and replace with a single
space. This will run together not only all the paragraphs for one
individual but also those for all individuals. You now have a single
paragraph. That many seem wrong, but be patient.

If you want each user now to be in a separate paragraph (what you are
calling a "line"), perform a second, separate Find & Replace,
replacing  "USER:" with "\n&" (no quotes, of course). This inserts a
paragraph break before each "USER:", so that each individual is now
in a separate paragraph (and will end up in a separate row of your
spreadsheet). This makes sense only *after* you have completed the
first Find & Replace. I suggested searching for "USER:" instead of
"USER" as you mention above, in case you happened to have the text
"USER" elsewhere in the text than as the marker of a new individual.

I don't know why you would search for "CHANNEL" - I didn't suggest
that. The whole point was to merge the paragraphs, wasn't it? If you
now want to remove some of those colons, you can now carry out a
third Find & Replace, this time searching for ([:alpha:]): (note that
trailing colon) and replacing with $1 .

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: How to connect lines in Writer?