Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Michael Gardner <ga...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/07 06:39:50 UTC

[betwixt] Current status of derived bean support?

What is the status of derived bean support in betwixt? I searched the list
archive, but found only some relatively old information.

In particular, is there currently a way to "turn on" className attribute
output for some or all beans? I've read
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/guide/derived.html, but it doesn't
say much about how one would actually go about getting those className
attributes into the XML stream.

If there is no "on switch" for derived bean support, would I have to write a
custom ChainedBeanCreator? In either case, are there any working examples
out there? I'm sure that would help clear things up a lot.

Mike

Re: [betwixt] Current status of derived bean support?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 23:39 -0600, Michael Gardner wrote:
> What is the status of derived bean support in betwixt? I searched the list
> archive, but found only some relatively old information.

somewhere between started and finished :-/

it's a complex subject and a comprehensive solution would be a lot of
work...

please checkout the latest code from trunk and use that: it's stable and
compatible and a lot of effort has been put into this area since the
last release. build should be easy since maven will handle the
dependencies.

> In particular, is there currently a way to "turn on" className attribute
> output for some or all beans?
> I've read http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/guide/derived.html, but it doesn't
> say much about how one would actually go about getting those className
> attributes into the XML stream.

for all beans - the class property is suppressed by default: stop
suppressing it and use a custom mapping strategy.

for some beans - use a dot betwixt file and explicit map the class
property

what betwixt really needs is a configurator to make this easy :-/

> If there is no "on switch" for derived bean support, would I have to write a
> custom ChainedBeanCreator?

there are number of cases where this is the easiest way but derived
beans will work automatically given the right configuration.

> In either case, are there any working examples
> out there? I'm sure that would help clear things up a lot.

i don't know of a working example. perhaps someone who does will jump in
now.

take a look at the tests: many of these in this area were submitted by
users and are reasonable examples.

- robert