Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org> on 2005/02/03 02:54:11 UTC

VOTE: FeedParser move to Commons Proper...

Hey gang.

I'd like to propose that we move FeedParser into commons proper.  The main
personal requirement for this is that I want to do a 0.5 release for my
CodeCon
talk on the FeedParser on Feb 11.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/feedparser/

We've been in the sandbox for 11 months now.  The FeedParser itself is
more than
2 years old.  Its currently used in production at rojo.com to handle
more than
1.9 million feeds.

We currently have three developers working on the FeedParser:

Kevin Burton (me)
Brad Neuberg (Rojo Networks Inc.)
Joseph Ottinger (Fusion Alliance)

We're also working with the Rome developers (another RSS parser) to try to
standardize APIs and are collaborating on a common feed parsing components
including networking IO, autodiscovery, unit test, and potential
collaboration.
In order for this to happen though I need to get a stable release of
FeedParser
out the door and the sandbox doesn't allow any releases.

I also want to be able to give out SVN commit to additional developers
as they
come on board.

Also... I assume we can get a dedicated mailing list for the FeedParser?
HttpClient is currently doing this.

The roadmap for FeedParser is to get a 0.5 release out before Feb 11 and
then
about a month later to release 1.0.  Then I want to start working on
better and
DEEPER unit tests and then rewrite the backend to use SAX.   At this
point I
can make a better case that the Rome developers should build their
object model
on top of FeedParser ....

Thanks guys!!!

get a free iPod!

Re: [feedparser] Discuss: FeedParser move to Commons Proper...

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 10:45 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> From: "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>

<snip>

> > Is there a pattern of projects moving from the commons to a top level
> > jakarta project?
> HttpClient is the only one that has tried to go to be a subproject within
> Jakarta. However it still isn't there, despite it being approved long ago.

The sole reason HttpClient is not currently seen as present at the
Jakarta level is our intention to release HttpClient 3.0 out of Jakarta
Commons in order to avoid confusion primarily associated with package
(re)naming and so on. As soon as HttpClient 3.0 goes final we will move
quickly to establish presence at the Jakarta level.

You can count on our (at least my) assistance with promotion process
should you decide to give it a go

Oleg

Re: [feedparser] Discuss: FeedParser move to Commons Proper...

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
From: "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>
> What I'm worried about this is that we might be a bit early for a top
> level java project. We only have 3 developers and we haven't done a
> release yet (because we're prevented from doing one).
Yes, probably too early.

> Is there a pattern of projects moving from the commons to a top level
> jakarta project?
HttpClient is the only one that has tried to go to be a subproject within
Jakarta. However it still isn't there, despite it being approved long ago.

Also, Jakarta is an odd destination to head for. The ASF board encourages
projects to move out of Jakarta and become top level at apache (like Ant,
Struts etc) (Note this is controversial with some people)

> I just want to do whats easy and conventional for now ;)
If you believe that you can do a quality 0.5 release now then you are
probably OK for commons promotion. However, you may need to advertise a
possible package rename if you intend to move out of commons longer term.

Also, read the commons charter and see if you think feedparser fits.

Stephen

Re: VOTE: FeedParser move to Commons Proper...

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
Dion Gillard wrote:

>Dirk,
>
>from what I can see feedparser seems more like a top level java
>project than a commons one. Maybe it should go straight from the
>sandbox to jakarta?

What I'm worried about this is that we might be a bit early for a top
level java project. We only have 3 developers and we haven't done a
release yet (because we're prevented from doing one). Maybe its time for
the incubator but I'm a bit nervous about that since it seems REALLY
complicated from my perspective. Maybe its easier now...

My current goal of moving from the sandbox to the commons was to do a
release and just get more developers. Then in a couple months we can
look at the situation again.

Is there a pattern of projects moving from the commons to a top level
jakarta project?

I just want to do whats easy and conventional for now ;)

Kevin

get a free iPod!

Re: VOTE: FeedParser move to Commons Proper...

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Dirk,

from what I can see feedparser seems more like a top level java
project than a commons one. Maybe it should go straight from the
sandbox to jakarta?

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
I'm +1 on the promotion.

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
Brad Neuberg wrote:

> Total +1 on this. Now that the ROME developers want to work on a
> unified API and JavaOne speech this should make working with them much
> easier.

It will also mean that you don't have to give me anonCVS diffs anymore
and can commit by yourself ;)

Kevin

get a free iPod!

Re: VOTE: FeedParser move to Commons Proper...

Posted by Brad Neuberg <bk...@columbia.edu>.
Total +1 on this.  Now that the ROME developers want to work on a unified
API and JavaOne speech this should make working with them much easier.

Brad

At 05:54 PM 2/2/2005, you wrote:

>Hey gang.
>
>I'd like to propose that we move FeedParser into commons proper.  The main
>personal requirement for this is that I want to do a 0.5 release for my
>CodeCon
>talk on the FeedParser on Feb 11.
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/feedparser/
>
>We've been in the sandbox for 11 months now.  The FeedParser itself is
>more than
>2 years old.  Its currently used in production at rojo.com to handle more than
>1.9 million feeds.
>
>We currently have three developers working on the FeedParser:
>
>Kevin Burton (me)
>Brad Neuberg (Rojo Networks Inc.)
>Joseph Ottinger (Fusion Alliance)
>
>We're also working with the Rome developers (another RSS parser) to try to
>standardize APIs and are collaborating on a common feed parsing components
>including networking IO, autodiscovery, unit test, and potential
>collaboration.
>In order for this to happen though I need to get a stable release of
>FeedParser
>out the door and the sandbox doesn't allow any releases.
>
>I also want to be able to give out SVN commit to additional developers as they
>come on board.
>
>Also... I assume we can get a dedicated mailing list for the FeedParser?
>HttpClient is currently doing this.
>
>The roadmap for FeedParser is to get a 0.5 release out before Feb 11 and then
>about a month later to release 1.0.  Then I want to start working on
>better and
>DEEPER unit tests and then rewrite the backend to use SAX.   At this point I
>can make a better case that the Rome developers should build their object
>model
>on top of FeedParser ....
>
>Thanks guys!!!
>
>--
>
>Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator).  Visit http://rojo.com. Ask me for an
>invite!  Also see irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.
>
>Rojo is Hiring! - http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html
>
>If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking, etc... then you
>should work for Rojo!  If you recommend someone and we hire them you'll
>get a free iPod!
>
>Kevin A. Burton, Location - San Francisco, CA
>       AIM/YIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://peerfear.org/
>GPG fingerprint: 5FB2 F3E2 760E 70A8 6174 D393 E84D 8D04 99F1 4412

Brad Neuberg, bkn3@columbia.edu
Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.  Visit
http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!

Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking,
Java, Open Source, etc... then come work with us at Rojo.  If you recommend
someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!  See

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 01:37, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> >+1
> >

> OK... great.  Thanks guys.  So does this mean I'm a go?  I've had more
> than 3 +1s and no -1s .

i find it best to put a time limit on a vote at the start (so that
everyone knows when it's finished). i'd go ahead an post a [RESULT] for
the VOTE. if anyone has a problem, they'll just have to -1 the result :)

> I'd like to move to commons proper soon as I'd ideally like to do a
> 0.5.0 release prior to my codecon talk on Sat Feb 12th.  No pressure
> though ;)

that's up the feedparser team :)

it will take a while to get CLAs processed but that's no reason not to
migrate the code.

> Is it possible to migrate the SVN repository so I still have my version
> information?

i believe that you should be able to do a copy. (hopefully any
subversion guru's out there will correct me if i'm wrong.)

<snip>

> >1. that was a bit of an experiment which didn't work out as well as was
> >hoped. having all the components on one list encourages a sense of
> >community and also provides for better oversight.
> >

> And a bit of noise I'm afraid.  Brad already has problems keeping on the
> list.
>
> I can just suggest to filter on [feedparser] in the subject line though.

+1

filters have proved very effective.

- robert

Re: VOTE: FeedParser move to Commons Proper...

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:

>+1

OK... great.  Thanks guys.  So does this mean I'm a go?  I've had more
than 3 +1s and no -1s .

I'd like to move to commons proper soon as I'd ideally like to do a
0.5.0 release prior to my codecon talk on Sat Feb 12th.  No pressure
though ;)

Is it possible to migrate the SVN repository so I still have my version
information?

>i'm going to assume that 'give out' is just an inaccurate choice of
>words. new committers can be proposed once feedparser is in the commons
>proper and voted on in the usual fashion.

Yup... usual process... sorry...

>>Also... I assume we can get a dedicated mailing list for the FeedParser?
>>HttpClient is currently doing this.
>>

>a couple of points:
>
>1. that was a bit of an experiment which didn't work out as well as was
>hoped. having all the components on one list encourages a sense of
>community and also provides for better oversight.

And a bit of noise I'm afraid.  Brad already has problems keeping on the
list.

I can just suggest to filter on [feedparser] in the subject line though.

>2. wanting or needing a separate mailing list is a sign that a component
>doesn't belong in the commons any more.

It might be necessary to move out of the commons eventually but we're
not there just yet.  Maybe in a couple months after our initial release.

I don't mind running with the commons list.  Its not too bad a requirement.

Kevin

get a free iPod!

Re: VOTE: FeedParser move to Commons Proper...

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
+1

<snip>