Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Børge Kjeldstad <bo...@whiteflower.no> on 2005/03/27 15:03:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Upgrading from Apache 1.3 to Apache 2.0 on Debian

Hello,

I installed Debian 3.1 with Apache 1.3.33 and with apachectl in directory
/usr/sbin/.

Then I installed Apache 2.0.53 with apachectl in directory
/usr/local/apache2/bin/.

Then I stopped Apache 1.3.

When I try to start Apache 2.0 with /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start I
get the following message:
/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started

However, when I try to stop Apache 2.0, I get the following message:
/usr/sbin/apachectl stop: httpd (pid 13375?) not running

Now also the same happens when I try to start and stop Apache 1.3 again.

However, when I try to visit a webpage which was supposed to be served by
Apache 2.0, I get the following message in my web browser:

The requested URL /ez_demo/index.php was not found on this server.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at ezDemo.myhost.org Port 80

(Apparently this is an error message from Apache 1.3 which was just reported
to not be running....)

My question is: What kind of things could be wrong here?

Many thanx : )

Børge

RE: [users@httpd] Upgrading from Apache 1.3 to Apache 2.0 on Debian

Posted by Børge Kjeldstad <bo...@whiteflower.no>.
Thank you for the answer,

Apache 1.3 in it's apachectl file writes:

PIDFILE=/var/run/apache.pid

and in it's httpd.conf file it writes:

PidFile /var/run/apache.pid

Apache 2.0 in it's apachectl file does not have any PIDFILE statement at
all. In it's httpd.conf file it writes:

<IfModule !mpm_netware.c>
PidFile logs/httpd.pid
</IfModule>

This file "logs/httpd.pid" does not exist.

When it comes to symlinks, I am not aware that I have any symlinks i
connection with my two Apache installations.

Børge

In both the apachectl's and conf files check where is it writing the pid
file... something like
PidFile logs/httpd.pid
Also remove the symlink, you have and then try to run the start the two
and see if that gives you some hint, else show it on the mailing list,
for us to figure.

- Aman Raheja

Posted by Aman Raheja <ar...@techquotes.com>.

Børge Kjeldstad wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I installed Debian 3.1 with Apache 1.3.33 and with apachectl in directory
>/usr/sbin/.
>
>Then I installed Apache 2.0.53 with apachectl in directory
>/usr/local/apache2/bin/.
>

>Then I stopped Apache 1.3.
>
>When I try to start Apache 2.0 with /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start I
>get the following message:
>/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started
>

>However, when I try to stop Apache 2.0, I get the following message:
>/usr/sbin/apachectl stop: httpd (pid 13375?) not running
>
>Now also the same happens when I try to start and stop Apache 1.3 again.
>
>However, when I try to visit a webpage which was supposed to be served by
>Apache 2.0, I get the following message in my web browser:
>
>The requested URL /ez_demo/index.php was not found on this server.
>Apache/1.3.33 Server at ezDemo.myhost.org Port 80
>
>(Apparently this is an error message from Apache 1.3 which was just reported
>to not be running....)
>
>My question is: What kind of things could be wrong here?
>
>Many thanx : )
>
>Børge

Regards
Aman Raheja