Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Pedro Boado <pb...@apache.org> on 2018/03/09 00:24:08 UTC

Expanding Phoenix support to additional versions of CDH

Hi all,

After our first release of Phoenix for CDH 5.11.2 it looks like a good idea
expanding support to other newer versions. I'd like to discuss with you
guys what would be the best approach as we have several options:

- Releasing one single generated parcel with wider compatibility (
cloudera-labs phoenix style ) . The issue here is that all transitive
dependencies packaged in phoenix fatjars would be specific to a cdh version
(let's say, cdh5.11.2) but would be running against different cdh version
(maybe cdh5.14.0 ) . There is a small chance of incompatibility across
versions ( even when all of them are HBase 1.2 based ) . Also we wouldn't
be running our IT against all these cdh versions.

- Maybe work further into packaging (and removing) any dependency that is
already shipped in cdh. That would improve compatibility of this unique
parcel version across cdh releases. But fat client fatjars would still be a
problem for use from out of hadoop cluster.

- Release several parcels specific to different cdh versions ( my favourite
option ) . That is the safest option for better compatibility as we would
be shipping the exact same libraries in the parcel as used in that version
of cdh. And we'd also be doing IT for several cdh versions. Downside is a
little bit more of release effort ( not a big deal ) , more branches in git
and  more web server space needed for keeping several parcels ( I'm not
sure if that is an issue )

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

Re: Expanding Phoenix support to additional versions of CDH

Posted by Pedro Boado <pe...@gmail.com>.
Is everyone happy with the regular rebase proposal for additional cdh
branches? Some projects are not keen on rebasing.

Posted by Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it>.
Thnaks Pedro for the great effort!

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Boado <pe...@gmail.com>.

--
Un saludo.
Pedro Boado.

Re: Expanding Phoenix support to additional versions of CDH

Posted by Pedro Boado <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.