Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es> on 2001/11/17 01:43:39 UTC

RE: How to send a language specific "subject" for new userconfirm ation e-mail

> Ignacio
>
> In the case of SendConfirmationEmail.java, their are a few
> places that
> Localization.getString() are used.  I would like to replace
> that code,
> but I have not used the "turbine l10n service".  Can you provide some
> examples or point me to some documentation?

Looking into that, notices.. soon

> If I provide a list of english template files, can you
> translate them to
> spanish for inclusion in the distribution?

Of course.. but i would prefer only use *.properties for that job..  i
dont think it's a good idea to use the directory based localization
service as it's now general localization if it's not really needed, this
way simply doubles the maintenance effort .. whenever templates change
we will need to update a couple or more files.. error prone and very
unpractical..

Rather i see only a set of templates, crafted for "roman" lenguages and
using localization strings inside, and only using separated templates
for languages that really need it..

What do you think..?

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega

RE: How to send a language specific "subject" for new userconfirm ation e-mail

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

--- "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es> wrote:

> > If I provide a list of english template files, can you
> > translate them to
> > spanish for inclusion in the distribution?
>
> Of course.. but i would prefer only use *.properties for that job..
> dont think it's a good idea to use the directory based localization
> service as it's now general localization if it's not really needed,
> this
> way simply doubles the maintenance effort .. whenever templates
> change
> we will need to update a couple or more files.. error prone and
> very
> unpractical..
>
> Rather i see only a set of templates, crafted for "roman" lenguages
> and
> using localization strings inside, and only using separated
> templates
> for languages that really need it..
>
> What do you think..?

Umm interesting, I can see your point that maintaining lots of files
is a pain - but its just feels(?) nicer to put the whole text into
the template - rather than 3 or 4 localization strings around dynamic
bits....

And having one big file (per language) full of localization strings -
that maybe unused now... - seems a bit cumbersome too...

Maybe its just a bit more disciplined than I have been to date... ;-)

But I will follow the crowd.

Chris

=====
Need somewhere to Live in London? - Then go to http://freeflats.com