Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> on 2009/06/14 18:25:49 UTC

RE: Trademark question.

Niclas Hedhman asked:
> I hope you can provide a quick free advice on a separate Open Source
> project; http://www.qi4j.org
>
> The founders, i.e. me and Rickard Oberg, of the Qi4j project want the
> 'trademark' to be as free as the source code is (Apache licensed). Do
> we need to do something to prevent others from protecting Qi4j from
> free usage? Would it make sense to register it and then publish that
> anyone can use the name any way they want (except trying to stop
> others from doing the same)?

[I moved this back to legal-discuss@ and prc@ since I don't give free advice
to individuals here; you can all have it, worth whatever you paid for it!
/Larry]

That's an easy one: Even if you're first to use the mark, if you don't (or
can't) claim a trademark for software, there's no trademark. It remains a
free word for anyone to apply to their software, and nobody can stop anyone
else.

It is like the word "aspirin" in the U.S. applied to pharmaceuticals. Free
as a bird. Freer even than open source software.

Copyrights subsist automatically and must be licensed -- limited term.

Patents must be claimed and actually asserted -- limited term.

Trademarks must be claimed and always defended -- perpetual until lost.

<snip>