Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Sylvia Mittal <mi...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/12 08:39:53 UTC

GSoD with Apache Beam

Hey,

I am Sylvia, a final year Computer Science student at the Indian Institute
Of Technology, Mandi. I am interested in applying for GSoD with Apache
Beam. I found the projects very interesting and useful. I would be very
happy to contribute to the organization with the technical documentation.

I request you to please tell me where to get started with the work. Any
kind of help or suggestion is welcome.

Thanks and Regards
Sylvia

Re: GSoD with Apache Beam

Posted by Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy <ai...@apache.org>.
Hi Sylvia,

As Ahmet mentioned, you may start by exploring the 2 project ideas that we
shared [1], and see which one you like better. On the same page, you will
find links to the old/related documentation that we are looking forward to
update/improve with tech writers' help. We also specified the set of
deliverables that we expect from technical writers for each project. If you
are very new to Apache Beam, this programming guide can be also helpful to
understand the key concepts[2].

When the application period for technical writers opens on June 9, you can
submit your proposal with a detailed outline of how you would document
either of the two project ideas. Mentors will assess proposals based on
these guidelines [3]. I also created a slack channel for quick questions if
you further questions [4]. If you have trouble joining the slack channel,
you can request an invite here[5].

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BEAM/Google+Season+of+Docs
[2] https://beam.apache.org/documentation/programming-guide/
[3]