Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com> on 2007/01/26 18:16:09 UTC

Re: JUNK->Re: Refactoring Create Order process during OFBiz Developers Conference Sponsored by Hotwax Media

I think I pretty much covered this in my other post, but I'll share the
few things I think could be done better.

1.) The original effort was submitted and not "lost" in the anals of
history even though it wasn't ready for prime time.

2.) You example worked because there were a small number of people
actively pushing something that happened rather fast, so the code did
not get too far out of date.

3.) You apparently worked on the code one at a time, and/or worked
together er separately to avoid any patching nightmares.

I'm not saying this the jira patch system doesn't work...  I'm saying I
think we could all benefit by creating a space for people to contribute
developments that aren't ready where it would be easy for others to work
on them piecemeal.

I think back and wonder how many of the developers out there worked on
projects specific to one business or another that DID not share it back
to the community because their efforts were not in a shape that could be
committed.

Thanks

Daniel

--
Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           DanielKunkel@BioWaves.com
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Illusion-Optical.com
http://www.Card-Offer.com      http://www.RackWine.com
http://www.JokesBlonde.com     http://www.Brain-Fun.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Refactoring Create Order process during OFBiz Developers Conference Sponsored by Hotwax Media

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Comments inline

On Jan 26, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Daniel Kunkel wrote:

> I think I pretty much covered this in my other post, but I'll share
> the
> few things I think could be done better.
>
> 1.) The original effort was submitted and not "lost" in the anals of
> history even though it wasn't ready for prime time.
>
> 2.) You example worked because there were a small number of people
> actively pushing something that happened rather fast, so the code did
> not get too far out of date.

We also ensured that it didn't get out of date by updating our
patches as things around them changed.  And yes, it was a smaller
group of people, so it was easier to manage.

> 3.) You apparently worked on the code one at a time, and/or worked
> together er separately to avoid any patching nightmares.
>
> I'm not saying this the jira patch system doesn't work...  I'm
> saying I
> think we could all benefit by creating a space for people to
> contribute
> developments that aren't ready where it would be easy for others to
> work
> on them piecemeal.

I definitely understand your pain here Daniel.  I would just ask the
people who have these aspirations to try the existing system and
first see how many people you actually get on board before building
infrastructure to manage additional TEAMS of developers.

> I think back and wonder how many of the developers out there worked on
> projects specific to one business or another that DID not share it
> back
> to the community because their efforts were not in a shape that
> could be
> committed.

Having your code not be in shape enough to be committed probably
never stopped anyone who really wanted their stuff to make it into
the project :)  Open source is great and it does often bring out the
best and works in people - I've always just taken the constructive
criticism of people who have a bit more experience in the project -
and that's always worked for me.

Cheers,
Tim