Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au> on 2010/08/18 02:02:17 UTC

Resigning as Wookie Mentor

Hi All,

I am a passive Mentor, one that jumps in and says or does something when and
if required.

I've sorted a fair few license header issues with RAT here at Wookie, some
are still to be resolved btw,
but otherwise their hasn't been much for me to do.

I had a more hands on role where needed for Log4PHP until it graduated, and
with Libcloud I
again take a more passive approach as there really isn't much for me to do.
With LibCloud that
will change as I gear up towards moving them out in the next 3 months or so.

With all the talk currently about what a Mentor should or should not be on
the Incubator lists,
with lots of folks looking at 'active mentors' being the favoured option, I
would like to resign
as Mentor for the Wookie podling effective immediately.

Wookie has other capable Mentors who are more 'active' and so should not
affect the direction
of the Wookie project in any way.

You lose a Incubator PMC member vote of course, but that is not what it
means to be active and I
feel uncomfortable being a Mentor purely to be an extra vote.

Gav...

Re: Resigning as Wookie Mentor

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Gavin,

Thank you for all your help on Wookie to date. The kinds of
contributions you have made (helping ensure that licence headers etc.
are clear) are exactly the kind of contributions that are needed.

You leave a legacy that will ensure that our release (when it comes
about) will be more likely to pass an incubator vote.

For me that kind of activity is exactly what I mean by an "active
mentor". However, I also agree that sticking around just to provide an
extra vote is not a good thing. If you haven't got the time to audit a
release properly then the vote is meaningless and if you do have the
time and inclination at the appropriate time you can still do so as an
IPMC member.

For clarity on the general@ list Wookie is not one of those projects
that I feel needs a different incubation process - it is a very small
community with potential, but it cannot at this time, russle up
sufficient committer votes and thus needs the IPMC oversight (it may get
sufficient mentor votes as we are lucky enough to have a some interested
mentors, but then again, it may not).

Ross

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gav,

You've done a heck of a lot more than sort out license headers! In particular when we first entered the incubator there were so many things you did to help us get our act together.

So thanks for all your help and input as a Wookie mentor, I really appreciate all that you've done for us.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gav,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Gavin,