Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Rob Oxspring <ro...@apache.org> on 2003/01/08 13:46:25 UTC

Re: Newsletter - Request for content

As you can see the timetable has slipped a bit!  However, there doesn't seem to be a lot to go in this issue (just an entry for
lucene + whatever I write to summarise general@) and I was wondering whether it was worth bothering with.  I realise this is to be
expected with the Christmas / New Year but there has been a general decline in content volume over the months and I was wondering
whether there was something that should be done to address this.  A number of thoughts have been mentioned by various people and I'd
be interested to hear opinions:

Reduce the frequency - every 2 months has been suggested before.
Format revamp - no idea how but ideas welcome - perhaps new blood is required?
Widen the scope - ant and Avalon have grown up to be (at least partially) outside the jakarta scope, should we include
xml.apache.org? and it's children? maybe just a simple *.apache.org? (with some appropriate rename)
Maybe its fine as it is?

Thanks,

Rob

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:46:25PM -0000, Rob Oxspring wrote:
> As you can see the timetable has slipped a bit!  However, there doesn't
> seem to be a lot to go in this issue (just an entry for lucene +
> whatever I write to summarise general@) and I was wondering whether it
> was worth bothering with.  I realise this is to be expected with the
> Christmas / New Year but there has been a general decline in content
> volume over the months and I was wondering whether there was something
> that should be done to address this.  A number of thoughts have been
> mentioned by various people and I'd be interested to hear opinions:
>
> Reduce the frequency - every 2 months has been suggested before.
> Format revamp - no idea how but ideas welcome - perhaps new blood is
> required?

How about setting up an 'ApacheNewsletter' Wiki page, let content
accumulate, and publish once critical mass is achieved?

I'd imagine that writing a newsletter entry is no fun at all. Probably
each project has only 2 or 3 people with a broad enough understanding of
the issues to 'summarize' a month's communications, identifying the
signal amongst the noise.  It's also a rather subjective task, with a
high risk of offending someone by omitting or misrepresenting points.

Using a Wiki doesn't solve the hard problems, but does lower the barrier
to entry, and makes plain that it's everyone's "problem" to create
content, not just the dedicated few listed below.

> Widen the scope - ant and Avalon have grown up to be (at least
> partially) outside the jakarta scope, should we include
> xml.apache.org? and it's children? maybe just a simple *.apache.org?

I know Forrest has a willing contributor :) and I'm sure with some
arm-twisting, one could be found for Cocoon.

--Jeff

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Rob Oxspring <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Reduce the frequency - every 2 months has been suggested before.

Has that helped to get more content into the October issue?

> Widen the scope - ant and Avalon have grown up to be (at least
> partially) outside the jakarta scope, should we include
> xml.apache.org?

You could invite them (and anybody else) and add news for whatever
(sub)project has provided input.

> Maybe its fine as it is?

To me it is, thanks a lot.

Stefan

Re: Newsletter - Request for content

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Rob Oxspring wrote:

> Reduce the frequency - every 2 months has been suggested before.

If you have the energy, 1 month is nice. PArtecipating is not
compulsory, so some projects may do it with less frequency.

> Format revamp - no idea how but ideas welcome - perhaps new blood is required?

I like the format :-)

> Widen the scope - ant and Avalon have grown up to be (at least partially) outside the jakarta scope, should we include
> xml.apache.org? and it's children? maybe just a simple *.apache.org? (with some appropriate rename)

If you have energy to bring in the xml.apache projects it would be
great! Then others too, but maybe one step at a time could help.

> Maybe its fine as it is?

Your work is very much appreciated :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -