Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Jason Novotny <no...@gridsphere.org> on 2006/10/14 07:19:25 UTC

using commons-logging in webapp w/ log4j, can't find my properties

Hi,

    I have a webapp and I have deployed common-logging-1.1 jar and
log4j-1.2.11 in my WEB-INF/lib directory of my webapp. I have also place
a log4j.properties file in my WEB-INF/classes directory. However, when
the webapp runs, I see only INFO level is being logged. It all worked
fine when I placed some line of the form

PropertyConfigurator.configure(url);

which forces a log4j to use the supplied config file, however I didn't
think this was necessary--

Any help is greatly appreciated!

    Thanks, Jason

Re: using commons-logging in webapp w/ log4j, can't find my properties

Posted by Jason Novotny <no...@gridsphere.org>.
    I think I see my problem--

My webapp first invokes a set of classes that are located in the
shared/lib classpath of Tomcat. Those classes also use commons-logging,
however there is no commons-logging jar in shared/lib alongside them, My
hunch is they make use of the commons-logging.jar located in Tomcat/bin
directory that ships with tomcat. Then it would seem that when execution
returns to my webapp, Tomcat classloading magic will just continue to
use the default logging properties and not my log4j.properties file.

    I can manually make it all work just by doing

PropertyConfigurator.configure(config.getServletContext().getRealPath("/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties"));

at the top of my servlet, so I guess this appears to the best solution
for now.

    Jason

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--