Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by "sunfl@certusnet.com.cn" <su...@certusnet.com.cn> on 2015/01/07 09:17:43 UTC

Re: Re: Fwd: Phoenix in production

Hi,
spark-phoenix integration would be great as Spark community is greately active now and more
and more developers are using Apache Spark.

Thanks,
Sun.

From: James Taylor
Date: 2015-01-07 16:10
To: sunfl@certusnet.com.cn
Subject: Re: Fwd: Phoenix in production
This is great, Sun! Thank you so much. Would you mind posting this on our user list in response to Siddharth's email? I think other Phoenix users would find it interesting as well.

On a side note, not sure how general what you developed is, but it would be interesting to pursue a general Spark integration in Phoenix as an open source contribution.

Thanks,
James

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 5:41 PM, sunfl@certusnet.com.cn <su...@certusnet.com.cn> wrote:
Hi, James & Siddharth

Glad to share our experience of using Phoenix in Production. I believe that Siddharth had done
sufficient tests and practices about Phoenix performance. Here are some tips about how we are using
Phoenix for our projects:
1. We facilitate Phoenix to give convinience for both RD and QA engineers, as they are glad to use
standard sql to operate hbase with no much loss of query performance.
2. In Production environment, we mainly integrate Apache Spark with Phoenix to optimize data loading to
Phoenix tables with or withour secondary indexes. Glad that current performance of writing had worked
smoothly with both compared to previously used MySQL InfoBright and other sql schema. We both had tested
a lot for secondary indexes and query optimization for Phoenix before moving Phoenix to Production
environment. Now we can get most of the features worked for Phoenix in our job.
3. Challenges had a lot too, such as bulkload performance with wal enabled, query optimization, statistical data collection with Phoenix
full table scan, and so on. However, we believe Phoenix be a sufficient schema for sql query over HBase and we are glad
that even more our projects are considering using Phoenix.

Thanks,
Sun.

CertusNet

From: James Taylor
Date: 2015-01-07 09:10
To: sunfl@certusnet.com.cn
Subject: Fwd: Phoenix in production
Hi Sun,
Any experiences you can share with Siddharth?
Thanks,
James

#43, Velankani Tech Park, Block No. II,
3rd Floor, Electronic City Phase I,
Bangalore – 560 100
Tel : +91 80 3202 4060
Web: www.syncoms.com
London|Bangalore|Orlando

we innovate, plan, execute, and transform the business​

Re: Re: Fwd: Phoenix in production

Posted by Kristoffer Sjögren <st...@gmail.com>.
We have been using Phoenix 2.2.3 in production for about a year and I agree
with the previous comments.

- Mainly a storage for temporal OLAP-like data in single tables without
secondary indexes.
- Data ingested via pig on hourly basis.
- Heavy usage of composite primary keys using skip-scans whenever possible.
- Use salting.
- Jooq's MySQL dialect works quite well with Phoenix.
- The only real downtime we had was when we mistakenly connected to Phoenix
using a newer client which automatically upgraded the cluster. The forced
us to upgrade all region servers with new phoenix jar files.
- We are going to upgrade to Phoenix 3.0 sometime soon.

All and all happy with Phoenix. Just make sure to read the documentation
and follow advice found on http://phoenix.apache.org and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
-Kristoffer

Posted by Kristoffer Sjögren <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Mahonin <jm...@interset.com>.
On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 1:43 PM, anil gupta <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yup, I am aware of Spark HBase integration. Phoenix-Spark integration
> would be more sweet. :)

Hi Anil,

I'm using Spark and Phoenix in production fairly successfully. There's very
little required for integration, since Phoenix has Hadoop Input and Output
formats that Spark can use natively.

As well, there is anther project which aims to bring the full Spark SQL
integration to Phoenix:
https://github.com/simplymeasured/phoenix-spark

Josh

Re: Re: Fwd: Phoenix in production