Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/12 10:39:26 UTC

[FALCON] Fonts Question

Recognized that the mustella test swf compiled with falcon use different
font then the ones compiled with the legacy compiler. That tends to quite a
lot of test failures so I started to investigate and found following
statement in the wiki:

> Falcon includes transcoders for the various types of embedded assets,
which read, for example, a PNG file and convert it to the form required
inside a SWF. It does NOT support font trancoding, because this relies on
proprietary Adobe technology which Adobe has not donated to Apache.
Instead, you must use a separate fontswf tool to convert your font files to
SWF files and then embed the fonts from them.

Does that mean we have to generate all the ttf fonts to swf fonts in
mustella?

And in the falcon compiler code I've found the follwoing method in
Class org.apache.flex.compiler.config.Configuration:

   @Config(advanced = true)
    @Mapping({"compiler", "fonts", "managers"})
    @Arguments("manager-class")
    @InfiniteArguments
    @FlexOnly
    public void setCompilerFontsManagers(ConfigurationValue cv,
List<String> list)
    {
        // intentionally do nothing here as feature removed, but don't
annotate as removed
        // as to not generate warnings for flex-config's which still set
this options
    }

Is the -compiler.fonts.managers argument just not implemented yet in falcon
or does this argument make no sense in the falcon compiler?

cyrill

RE: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
Alex is suggesting writing a transcoder tor Falcon that uses Adobe's proprietary font JARs. He says this is what Apache's version of the old compiler has.

- Gordon

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
I experimented a little more here so I setup a simple flex app that
uses ubuntu font - format ttf.

Then  I created an swf font with the following command.

fontswf.bat -a "Ubuntu Bold" -b
C:\dev\apache-flex\falcon\compiler.tests\functional-tests\f\mxml\assets\Ubuntu-Regular.ttf

Then I replaced the @font-face url property from ttf to swf and run
falcon to compile the app. But it looks like it's not using the ubuntu
font even it's now a swf file.

So I tried to debug it and find the code where falcon parses
@font-face and reads the font source. But for me looks like it's not
implemented yet.

I found that in class
org.apache.flex.compiler.internal.css.CSSFontFace the two methods
aren't implemented.

getSourceType()
getSourceValue()

Gordon do you know more about that? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for help.

Cyrill

Re: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

RE: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Re: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.

RE: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for feedback.

I just red some stuff about Embed font support on
http://www.bytearray.org/?p=4789 and
http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashplatformruntimes/air3-4/air3-4_p2_sdk_asc2_releasenotes.pdf.
Isn't this exactly what we are talking here about?

cyrill

Re: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [FALCON] Fonts Question

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
> That said, looking forward at Flex on JS, is there font embedding in
> HTML/CSS?

Not sure about true embedding, but there is:

http://caniuse.com/fontface

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software