Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by JWM <te...@malcolms.com> on 2006/03/28 02:02:22 UTC

Determining Recipient from Recipient list

If there are multiple recipients for a message, I see it getting processed
in the logs once for each recipient, which makes sense.  Which field in the
message object do I look in to find the particular recipient from the list
that this instance is processing?  "Recipients" field always lists all the
recipients, not the individual one being processed.  I figure there has to
be field somewhere that identifies the recipient being processed.  Just
don't know which one.

My problem is that if a message has 3 recipients, one is successful, and two
fail, there are two failure entries in the log.   But both of them say
"Recipients: a, b, c".  I'd like to be able to know that a and c failed and
b was successful.

Thanks.

Jerry

Re: Determining Recipient from Recipient list

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
JWM wrote:
> Let me ask it a different way... If there are three recipients on three
> different domains, and if only one of the three deliveries fails due to the
> target server down or something, the message will remain on the spool,
> right?  It still shows recipients a,b, and c in the message.  But I assume
> that there is something in that message on the spool that identifies which
> of the three recipients still is pending.  When the message is pulled from
> the spool and runs through the process again, I want to know that I'm
> processing it for "b" only this time. Where do I find that info?

No. The message is splitted in 3 different messages by the
RemoteDelivery the first time.

Then you have 3 separated mails to deliver. Each one destinated to a
single recipient (or better, to all the recipients for the same domain).

If you use a smart gateway this does not happen.

PS: The message itself is not important and is the same for the 3 mails.
The mail object is different and contains the single recipients. The
full mimemessage (headers too) is simply text for the remote delivery.

Stefano

RE: Determining Recipient from Recipient list

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.