Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Johny <ms...@webworks.dk> on 2006/01/13 13:34:53 UTC

Tapestry 4.0 is NOT Java 1.3 compliant

At the risk of repeating myself, could I just highlight the issue of 1.3
compliancy. It was mentioned a few places that Tapestry 4.0 is Java 1.3
compliant, even thouh some examples are not (using annotations etc.).

This is clearly not the case. As mentioned by Howard in post yesterday, the
most recent HiveMind version and the version used by Tapestry 4.0, is not 1.3
compliant, and this causes Tapestry 4.0 running under Java 1.3 to fail, even
when using only basic Tapestry features.

This is a really big issue for us, and for everyone else who are forced or
choose to be 1.3 compatible. Basically Tapestry 4.0 is useless to us until the
bug is fixed.

Here is a stacktrace to the bug (using StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer)):

MethodFabImpl.toString() line: 98
String.valueOf(Object) line: not available
StringBuffer.append(Object) line: not available
ClassFabImpl.buildMethods(StringBuffer) line: 173
ClassFabImpl.toString() line: 149
String.valueOf(Object) line: not available
StringBuffer.append(Object) line: not available
EnhancementOperationImpl.finalizeEnhancedClass() line: 479
EnhancementOperationImpl.getConstructor() line: 447
ComponentConstructorFactoryImpl.getComponentConstructor
(IComponentSpecification, String) line: 99
$ComponentConstructorFactory_108c3ad5712.getComponentConstructor
(IComponentSpecification, String) line: not available
$ComponentConstructorFactory_108c3ad5711.getComponentConstructor
(IComponentSpecification, String) line: not available
PageLoader.instantiatePage(String, INamespace, IComponentSpecification) line:
578
PageLoader.loadPage(String, INamespace, IRequestCycle, IComponentSpecification)
line: 606
$IPageLoader_108c3ad570b.loadPage(String, INamespace, IRequestCycle,
IComponentSpecification) line: not available
$IPageLoader_108c3ad570c.loadPage(String, INamespace, IRequestCycle,
IComponentSpecification) line: not available
PageSource.getPage(IRequestCycle, String, IMonitor) line: 120
$IPageSource_108c3ad569a.getPage(IRequestCycle, String, IMonitor) line: not
available
$IPageSource_108c3ad5699.getPage(IRequestCycle, String, IMonitor) line: not
available
RequestCycle.loadPage(String) line: 268
RequestCycle.getPage(String) line: 251
RequestCycle.activate(String) line: 609
HomeService.service(IRequestCycle) line: 63
$IEngineService_108c3ad56f5.service(IRequestCycle) line: not available
EngineServiceInnerProxy.service(IRequestCycle) line: 77
EngineServiceOuterProxy.service(IRequestCycle) line: 66
BaseEngine(AbstractEngine).service(WebRequest, WebResponse) line: 248
InvokeEngineTerminator.service(WebRequest, WebResponse) line: 60
$WebRequestServicer_108c3ad56d8.service(WebRequest, WebResponse) line: not
available
$WebRequestServicer_108c3ad56d7.service(WebRequest, WebResponse) line: not
available
$WebRequestServicer_108c3ad56d4.service(WebRequest, WebResponse) line: not
available
$WebRequestServicer_108c3ad56d3.service(WebRequest, WebResponse) line: not
available
WebRequestServicerPipelineBridge.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse) line: 56
$ServletRequestServicer_108c3ad56b6.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse) line: not available
$ServletRequestServicer_108c3ad56b5.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse) line: not available
MultipartDecoderFilter.service(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse,
ServletRequestServicer) line: 52
$ServletRequestServicerFilter_108c3ad56b8.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse, ServletRequestServicer) line: not available
$ServletRequestServicerFilter_108c3ad56b7.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse, ServletRequestServicer) line: not available
$ServletRequestServicer_108c3ad56b9.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse) line: not available
SetupRequestEncoding.service(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse,
ServletRequestServicer) line: 53
$ServletRequestServicerFilter_108c3ad56b4.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse, ServletRequestServicer) line: not available
$ServletRequestServicerFilter_108c3ad56b3.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse, ServletRequestServicer) line: not available
$ServletRequestServicer_108c3ad56b9.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse) line: not available
DecodedRequestInjector.service(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse,
ServletRequestServicer) line: 55
$ServletRequestServicerFilter_108c3ad56b2.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse, ServletRequestServicer) line: not available
$ServletRequestServicerFilter_108c3ad56b1.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse, ServletRequestServicer) line: not available
$ServletRequestServicer_108c3ad56b9.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse) line: not available
$ServletRequestServicer_108c3ad56ac.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse) line: not available
$ServletRequestServicer_108c3ad56ab.service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse) line: not available
ApplicationServlet.doService(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse) line: 123
ApplicationServlet.doGet(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse) line: 79
ApplicationServlet(HttpServlet).service(HttpServletRequest,
HttpServletResponse) line: 740
ApplicationServlet(HttpServlet).service(ServletRequest, ServletResponse) line:
853
ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ServletRequest, ServletResponse) line:
247
ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ServletRequest, ServletResponse) line: 193
StandardWrapperValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 256
StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response)
line: 643
StandardPipeline.invoke(Request, Response) line: 480
StandardWrapper(ContainerBase).invoke(Request, Response) line: 995
StandardContextValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 191
StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response)
line: 643
StandardPipeline.invoke(Request, Response) line: 480
StandardContext(ContainerBase).invoke(Request, Response) line: 995
StandardContext.invoke(Request, Response) line: 2416
StandardHostValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 180
StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response)
line: 643
ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 171
StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response)
line: 641
ErrorReportValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 172
StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response)
line: 641
StandardPipeline.invoke(Request, Response) line: 480
StandardHost(ContainerBase).invoke(Request, Response) line: 995
StandardEngineValve.invoke(Request, Response, ValveContext) line: 174
StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(Request, Response)
line: 643
StandardPipeline.invoke(Request, Response) line: 480
StandardEngine(ContainerBase).invoke(Request, Response) line: 995
CoyoteAdapter.service(Request, Response) line: 223
Http11Processor.process(InputStream, OutputStream) line: 601
Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(TcpConnection, Object
[]) line: 392
TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Object[]) line: 565
ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run() line: 619
ThreadWithAttributes(Thread).run() line: not available

Re: Tapestry 4.0 is NOT Java 1.3 compliant

Posted by Gregg Bolinger <ta...@gmail.com>.
>If you are still using 1.3 for server-side work you practically *deserve*
>to be ignored by the rest of the world

Well that's not very nice.

As I believe Howard has stated, the 1.3 compatability issue is resolved in
Hivemind 1.1.1??  If someone could confirm that?

Gregg

Posted by Holger Hoffstaette <ho...@wizards.de>.

Posted by Paul Cantrell <ca...@pobox.com>.
Agreed to that -- but if it's not 1.3 compatible, the web site
shouldn't say it is.

I really, really feel for people stuck on old JDKs. The least we can
do for them is give them accurate information about what tools will
work!

Posted by Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com>.
I kinda feel as though if the JVM cannot be upgraded then its
understandable that the framework you use cannot.  If you use java 1.3
then stick with Tapestry version 3, its proven to be stable.

Keeping Tapestry compatible with 1.3 or even 1.4 is like saying it
want the new features of java 5 backward compatible with 1.3.

Eventually you just need to move on or stay with what works with the
version of the jvm your in.

~chris

On 1/13/06, Darío Vasconcelos <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ha! Then I'm glad I can't use it anyway :-)
>

> On 1/13/06, Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >                         Damn! String.split() method should not exist in the first place!!!
> >  Reason: String class is FINAL and there are other methods of splitting than regular expression based (length based for example)
> >   There is excellent RE library available all along and it works on Java 1.2 too. Id does much more than very limited RE support in JDK and in much more uniform and "make sense" way.
> >

> > Darío Vasconcelos <da...@gmail.com> wrote: Being an external consultant, most of the time you have to stick to
> > what your customer has. My clients use IAS9, WAS4, and even Sybase's
> > Jaguar 4.x, which still use JDK 1.3.
> >
> > Believe me, for me using String.split( ) is such a luxury...
> >

> > Now, is it possible to go back to the main point of the discussion?
> > This is of very much interest to me...
> >

> > On 1/13/06, Korbinian Bachl  wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > just to understand the problem right: why do you have to be 1.3 compliant ?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Korbinian
> > >
> > > PS: this is not meant to be offendend, but i just dont see a reasen why not
> > > to choose the most recent, most safest java version...

~chris

Re: Tapestry 4.0 is NOT Java 1.3 compliant

Posted by Darío Vasconcelos <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Darío Vasconcelos <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Eberle <ma...@tngtech.com>.
Many big companies do not allow newer versions, as new versions have to be
approved by IT or security.

Cheers,
    Markus

> just to understand the problem right: why do you have to be 1.3 compliant ?
>
> Regards
>
> Korbinian
>
> PS: this is not meant to be offendend, but i just dont see a reasen why not
> to choose the most recent, most safest java version...

--
Markus Eberle
TNG Technology Consulting

AW: Tapestry 4.0 is NOT Java 1.3 compliant

Posted by Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.
Hi,