Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tim Erickson <ti...@csdpcorp.com> on 2016/12/20 21:54:32 UTC

Import manually versioned files

We are installing Subversion on one of our servers for the first time. We have been manually versioning files via a simple directory structure by keeping a version/date directory under the source. This is where we keep old source code. When importing the repository for the first time, is there a way to import all the old source with the current source in a way that it will look like Subversion was actually doing the versioning all along?

Thanks,
Tim Erickson
CDSP Development
tim.erickson@csdpcorp.com

Re: Import manually versioned files

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
> On Dec 21, 2016, at 05:32, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 21.12.2016 09:46, Stefan Hett wrote:
>> On 12/20/2016 10:54 PM, Tim Erickson wrote:
>>>
>>> We are installing Subversion on one of our servers for the first
>>> time. We have been manually versioning files via a simple directory
>>> structure by keeping a version/date directory under the source. This
>>> is where we keep old source code. When importing the repository for
>>> the first time, is there a way to import all the old source with the
>>> current source in a way that it will look like Subversion was
>>> actually doing the versioning all along?
>>>

>> Shouldn't be much work to write a custom script copying over the files
>> from your older folders successively over the new files and do
>> according svn add/del/ci calls for each version.
>> I'm not aware of an existing tool/script doing precisely what you need,
>
> This is the closest I know of:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/contrib/client-side/svn_load_dirs/

That was the script I was going to suggest using as well. Treat your old manually-versioned code as a vendor branch. See the chapter in the svnbook on vendor branches, and previous discussion in the mailing list archives.

Re: Import manually versioned files

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 21.12.2016 09:46, Stefan Hett wrote:
> On 12/20/2016 10:54 PM, Tim Erickson wrote:
>>
>> We are installing Subversion on one of our servers for the first
>> time. We have been manually versioning files via a simple directory
>> structure by keeping a version/date directory under the source. This
>> is where we keep old source code. When importing the repository for
>> the first time, is there a way to import all the old source with the
>> current source in a way that it will look like Subversion was
>> actually doing the versioning all along?
>>

> Shouldn't be much work to write a custom script copying over the files
> from your older folders successively over the new files and do
> according svn add/del/ci calls for each version.
> I'm not aware of an existing tool/script doing precisely what you need,

This is the closest I know of:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/contrib/client-side/svn_load_dirs/

> but it should not be more than a few hours workto write one, I guess.

... and a couple days to debug it :)

-- Brane

Re: Import manually versioned files

Posted by Stefan Hett <st...@egosoft.com>.
On 12/20/2016 10:54 PM, Tim Erickson wrote:

> We are installing Subversion on one of our servers for the first time.
> We have been manually versioning files via a simple directory
> structure by keeping a version/date directory under the source. This
> is where we keep old source code. When importing the repository for
> the first time, is there a way to import all the old source with the
> current source in a way that it will look like Subversion was actually
> doing the versioning all along?

Shouldn't be much work to write a custom script copying over the files
from your older folders successively over the new files and do according
svn add/del/ci calls for each version.
I'm not aware of an existing tool/script doing precisely what you need,
but it should not be more than a few hours workto write one, I guess.

Stefan Hett, Developer/Administrator

EGOSOFT GmbH, Heidestrasse 4, 52146 Wrselen, Germany
Tel: +49 2405 4239970, www.egosoft.com
Geschftsfhrer: Bernd Lehahn, Handelsregister Aachen HRB 13473