Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2010/11/02 12:26:37 UTC

Re: Dependency version alignment for ServiceMix 4.3.0

Hi all,

I made some progress around that.

1/ Camel 2.5.0 now uses Spring 3.0.4.RELEASE. Karaf 2.1.0 and ServiceMix
use 3.0.3.RELEASE for now. I'm working on the Karaf 2.1.x branch to use
the 3.0.4.RELEASE. It will be included in Karaf 2.1.1. Like this, Karaf,
Camel and ServiceMix will use the same Spring version.
ServiceMix will be based on Karaf 2.1.1 (and not 2.1.0).
2/ Camel 2.5.0 uses the ServiceMix bundles version before usage of the
new naming convention. That's why we have a gap on quite all bundles. On
the other hand, Camel uses directly commons-collections or commons-lang
OSGi bundle. As these bundles suffer from some mistake in the export
package statements, we have to use the ServiceMix wrap bundles for
commons-collections and commons-lang. For these reasons, I will
"override" the camel feature descriptor in ServiceMix.
It means that ServiceMix will only use the Karaf features descriptor
from the Karaf distribution, the other features descriptor (Camel,
ActiveMQ, ODE, etc) are overrided in ServiceMix distribution.
3/ As we are going to use Karaf 2.1.1 and override Camel features
descriptor, I'm gonna provide a bundle for Jetty 6.1.25 which provide
important bug fixes (especially around performances). Jetty 6.1.25 will
be used in Karaf 2.1.1 and ServiceMix (features and component).

To summarize:
- Step 1: I commit in Karaf 2.1.x branch to align dependencies with
ServiceMix. Karaf 2.1.1 will be released soon after this commit.
- ServiceMix 4.3.0 will use Karaf 2.1.1.
- ServiceMix 4.3.0 will override features descriptor for ActiveMQ (due
to a mistake in ActiveMQ 5.4.1 features descriptor, around console
feature), Camel (due to dependency versions alignment), ODE (no features
descriptor provided in ODE distribution).

No objection ?
If no, I have my planning for today :)

I will keep you posted.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Lukasz,

your proposal could work but, in a more general point of view, the
dependencies resolution should be make at runtime.
We can't start with the hypothesis that all projects are known by
ServiceMix.
For instance, if we want to plug Activiti BPM in ServiceMix, Activiti
guys can provide the features descriptor.
I'm more concerned by the fact that Karaf will provide better OBR
version management.

Regards
JB