Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Akansh Bharadwaj <bh...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/10 09:38:37 UTC

Help related to GSOC

Greetings,

I apologize if this is the wrong list for this, but I am new to mailing
lists and would appreciate any help provided.

I have a new Idea that is related to but not a part of any Apache project i
can find through google.

I wish to propose a new java build system with an integrated package
manager a-la cargo for Rust and anaconda for Python. This system would also
aim to have configurations in a more readable language than XML, say TOML,
YAML, or even a minimal custom format that looks like Markdown. and
optionally try to deploy shims for executable jars so they can be run
systemwide.

I also want to include a pre-processor with macro support so it's a little
more convenient to make large projects over long hours in java.

The closest projects I can think of are ant, maven and gradle. but I don't
see how this proposal directly benefits any of those projects and so I
don't know where to send my proposal.

The apache gsoc page also mentions the moderators (at) community.apache.org
mail. but it's also mentioned that we should contact them only if the ideas
page isn't getting updated? (i may have read this part wrong)

kindly help me find the right target for my proposal,
Thanks and Regards.
Akitosh

Re: Help related to GSOC

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Akitosh,

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 at 22:49, Akansh Bharadwaj
<bh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Maxim,
> Thanks for your reply,
> I appreciate it.
>
> |> ASF is umbrella org, all real ideas should be supported by real ASF PMCs
> |> So the first step would be to find valid project :)
>
> I understand that, but my issue is that there's multiple Apache projects that have similar goals, but my approach and ideals seem to be very different from theirs. and I wasn't sure which one to approach, or maybe all of them?

Yes this was clear
but you need to
 1) find a mentor in _existing_ ASF project
OR
 2) find enough people and start new ASF project (via
https://incubator.apache.org/)

In case you will choose option #2 I doubt it will be GSoC project ....

> I think i will just message them all my proposal.
> |> This seems to be huge project.
> |> Are you sure this is doable by 1 person in ~350 hours ?
>
> Yes, I realize it's a pretty large project. That is why my proposal will only try to achieve one managable portion of this task. specifically a preprocessor to help hide away some of the clunky boilerplate that's still lingering in larger java projects. I did find online that opinions on preprocessors for java have been quite divided in the past. but I'm hoping that the increased ease of use will be more appreciated in today's scenario.
>
> Anyway, Thanks for the help
> Warmest Regards
> Akitosh
>

> On 4/13/22 11:59 AM, Maxim Solodovnik wrote:
> > Hello Akitosh,
> >

> > On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 at 21:35, Akansh Bharadwaj
> > <bh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I apologize if this is the wrong list for this, but I am new to mailing
> >> lists and would appreciate any help provided.
> >>
> >> I have a new Idea that is related to but not a part of any Apache project i
> >> can find through google.
> > ASF is umbrella org, all real ideas should be supported by real ASF PMCs
> > So the first step would be to find valid project :)
> >
> >> I wish to propose a new java build system with an integrated package
> >> manager a-la cargo for Rust and anaconda for Python. This system would also
> >> aim to have configurations in a more readable language than XML, say TOML,
> >> YAML, or even a minimal custom format that looks like Markdown. and
> >> optionally try to deploy shims for executable jars so they can be run
> >> systemwide.
> > This seems to be huge project.
> > Are you sure this is doable by 1 person in ~350 hours ?
> >
> >> I also want to include a pre-processor with macro support so it's a little
> >> more convenient to make large projects over long hours in java.
> >>
> >> The closest projects I can think of are ant, maven and gradle. but I don't
> >> see how this proposal directly benefits any of those projects and so I
> >> don't know where to send my proposal.
> >>
> >> The apache gsoc page also mentions the moderators (at) community.apache.org
> > s/moderators/mentors/ :)
> > This is the list for mentors only :)
> >
> >> mail. but it's also mentioned that we should contact them only if the ideas
> >> page isn't getting updated? (i may have read this part wrong)
> >>
> >> kindly help me find the right target for my proposal,
> >> Thanks and Regards.
> >> Akitosh

Best regards,
Maxim