Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Gareth <li...@linguaphone.co.uk> on 2004/12/15 12:51:17 UTC

Bypassing spam checking when using Postfix

I use Suse Openexchange as our mail server and I have amavis installed
for virus scanning and spamassassin.

I have a problem where when people send mail using SMTP Auth
spamassassin penalises them because they are sending from a dynamic IP
address etc...
Currently I am having to whitelist their addresses which also allows
some spam through.

How do other people get around this problem?

I can't see a way of getting Postfix to add a custom header for email
received via SMTP Auth. If I could do this then I could write a custom
spamassassin rule to whitelist these emails.

I am currently looking into having TLS configured in Postfix listening
on a different port which sends the mail to a second copy of amavis
which when it finishes sends it back to postfix without going via
spamassassin. This just seems a bit over complicated.

Re: Bypassing spam checking when using Postfix

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Gareth wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 02:48, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>

>>If Postfix can be made to add, or already does add, RFC 3848 header
>>'with' tokens, new versions of SA (3.0.2 and on) will fix your problem.
>>Until then you can use this patch:
>>http://bugzilla.spamassassin.org/attachment.cgi?id=2547&action=view
>>

>OpenExchange is a bit of a pain with installing customised versions. I
>would prefer not to have to manually install a self compiled version. If
>Postfix can add a token I could just write a custom SA rule to add -100
>to the score which would be sufficient.

You should be able to get Postfix to 'PREPEND' a header whenever someone
connects with SASL, etc.  You'd have to look up the syntax.

>>If it doesn't add these tokens (such as 'with esmtpa') could you send me
>>a copy of an authenticated received header generated by Postfix?
>>

>I have attached the headers from a test email at the end of this mail.

>mail.linguaphone-intranet.co.uk (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6A8CB86914 for
><xx...@linguaphone.co.uk>; Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:29:18 +0000 (GMT)

This is an unauthenticated Postfix header and...

>(cpc2-rdng4-3-0-cust244.winn.cable.ntl.com [81.98.97.244]) by
>mail.linguaphone-intranet.co.uk (Postfix) with ESMTP id 22BB186B18 for
><xx...@linguaphone.co.uk>; Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:28:52 +0000 (GMT)

This is a header from an authenticated connection, correct?  That's no
good... they're identical.  What kind/method of authentication are you
using?

Daryl

Re: Bypassing spam checking when using Postfix

Posted by Gareth <li...@linguaphone.co.uk>.
On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 02:48, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> Gareth wrote:
>
> >I use Suse Openexchange as our mail server and I have amavis installed
> >for virus scanning and spamassassin.
> >
> >I have a problem where when people send mail using SMTP Auth
> >spamassassin penalises them because they are sending from a dynamic IP
> >address etc...
> >Currently I am having to whitelist their addresses which also allows
> >some spam through.
> >

> These are dynamic blocks you don't control, right?  If you do control
> them, you can just add them to your trusted/internal networks.

Yes that is correct.

> >How do other people get around this problem?
> >
> >I can't see a way of getting Postfix to add a custom header for email
> >received via SMTP Auth. If I could do this then I could write a custom
> >spamassassin rule to whitelist these emails.
> >

> If Postfix can be made to add, or already does add, RFC 3848 header
> 'with' tokens, new versions of SA (3.0.2 and on) will fix your problem.
> Until then you can use this patch:
> http://bugzilla.spamassassin.org/attachment.cgi?id=2547&action=view

OpenExchange is a bit of a pain with installing customised versions. I
would prefer not to have to manually install a self compiled version. If
Postfix can add a token I could just write a custom SA rule to add -100
to the score which would be sufficient.

> If it doesn't add these tokens (such as 'with esmtpa') could you send me
> a copy of an authenticated received header generated by Postfix?

I have attached the headers from a test email at the end of this mail.

> >I am currently looking into having TLS configured in Postfix listening
> >on a different port which sends the mail to a second copy of amavis
> >which when it finishes sends it back to postfix without going via
> >spamassassin. This just seems a bit over complicated.
> >

> If you've only got the one server that's pretty much your only choice,
> if the above patch won't solve the problem, (unless you can make Postfix
> add a header for auth'd connections, in which case you can write a rule
> to catch it).

Thanks
Gareth

Subject: Test mail
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:28:52 +0000 (GMT)
From: test@gbnetwork.co.uk

Re: Bypassing spam checking when using Postfix

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.