Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/03/28 22:26:47 UTC

pushing back release date for jdbc4-capable Derby

A while ago, I volunteered to manage a Derby release which will include
a new feature that is important to me: an implementation of JDBC4. Based
on the JDBC4 schedule then, I had hoped to post that release in June.
However, because the JDBC4 schedule moved back, I must post my release
later, most likely in October. Here is the reason:

Under the terms of the JCP specification license, a product may not
release for general availability if it implements JCP specification APIs
that are not generally available. Two JCP specifications, JSRs 221 and
270, affect Derby. JSR 221 governs JDBC4 and JSR 270 governs Java SE 6.
JDBC4, as part of Java SE 6, is scheduled to go GA this autumn. See
http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=221&showPrint and
http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=270&showPrint. So a JDBC4-capable
Derby GA cannot post till the fall.

I will continue to track the evolving JDBC4 spec and still expect to
manage a release which implements that feature. However, you must
understand that I do not have time to manage a June release as well.

I am sorry to bear this disappointing news.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: pushing back release date for jdbc4-capable Derby

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
I think you are quite right that this is most likely too long to wait
for the next release.  I think what Rick is saying is his personal itch
is JDBC4, that's the release he wants to manage, and he's not up for
managing two releases in a row.

I am hoping (and I am sorry to say I am not the one to do this with a
new baby) that someone can volunteer to manage an earlier release so we
can get some of this great new functionality (other than JDBC4) out to
our users.

Helpful hint to anyone thinking of doing this: it is pretty darn easy to
build a binary of Derby that does not include JDBC4 - just don't compile
it with the JDK 1.6 compiler...  So hopefully we do not have to yank out
all the JDBC4 work to do a release prior to the GA of the JDBC4
specification.

David

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 3/28/06, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
> A while ago, I volunteered to manage a Derby release which will include
> a new feature that is important to me: an implementation of JDBC4. Based
> on the JDBC4 schedule then, I had hoped to post that release in June.
> However, because the JDBC4 schedule moved back, I must post my release
> later, most likely in October. Here is the reason:
>
> Under the terms of the JCP specification license, a product may not
> release for general availability if it implements JCP specification APIs
> that are not generally available. Two JCP specifications, JSRs 221 and
> 270, affect Derby. JSR 221 governs JDBC4 and JSR 270 governs Java SE 6.
> JDBC4, as part of Java SE 6, is scheduled to go GA this autumn. See
> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=221&showPrint and
> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=270&showPrint. So a JDBC4-capable
> Derby GA cannot post till the fall.

Disregarding any potential legalities, would we, as a community really
want to release something that isn't known to be compliant with the
final version of the spec? That would seem to run counter to the
charter of the Derby project, specifically the Standards Based part:

http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_charter.html#Standards+based

I assume you mentioned legalities because the ASF is a JCP member:

http://jcp.org/en/participation/members/A

However, in this case I don't think we need to consider any legal issues.

> I will continue to track the evolving JDBC4 spec and still expect to
> manage a release which implements that feature. However, you must
> understand that I do not have time to manage a June release as well.
>
> I am sorry to bear this disappointing news.

I don't think there's a need to be disappointed. :-) These things
happen. Personally, I think it makes sense from several perspectives
to have a release around JDBC 4 that implements the final version of
the spec, not an early draft. Does anyone disagree?

That said, October is a long way away. That would be almost a year
between the 10.1.2 release and 10.2. So, I think it would be a good
idea to have another 10.1 maintenance release in the meantime. There
have been numerous XA fixes which have gone into the 10.1 branch
recently, and perhaps we can have another "bug drive" like Kathey held
for 10.1.2 to drum up some interest in fixing some of the numerous
open code bugs and porting some of the smaller fixes from 10.2 to 10.1
(like the recent fix for retrieving Float values, e.g.).

And since I suggested it, yes, I'll volunteer to head up the 10.1.3 release. :-)

andrew

Re: pushing back release date for jdbc4-capable Derby

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Note that our current nightly snapshots don't contain the jdbc40
> classes. We could:
>
> 1) Change the nightly build to always generate the jdbc40 support or
> 2) Hand-generate a snapshot early in May

+1 to both.

The benefit of a snapshot is that we can put some words around it,
rather than just a nightly build.

By words, I mean a small writeup of what's new for people to try out and
test.

Dan.

Re: pushing back release date for jdbc4-capable Derby

Posted by Ramandeep Kaur <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

for both

Ramandeep Kaur
ramandhindsa@gmail.com

Re: pushing back release date for jdbc4-capable Derby

Posted by Ole Solberg <Ol...@Sun.COM>.
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Manjula G Kutty <ma...@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>Rajesh Kartha wrote:

Daily builds with JDBC40 support are now available at
http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/DerbyJDK16/builds/

--
Ole Solberg, Database Technology Group,
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: pushing back release date for jdbc4-capable Derby

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Manjula G Kutty <ma...@gmail.com> writes:

> Rajesh Kartha wrote:
>
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>
>>> Note that our current nightly snapshots don't contain the jdbc40
>>> classes. We could:
>>>
>>> 1) Change the nightly build to always generate the jdbc40 support or
>>> 2) Hand-generate a snapshot early in May
>>>
>>> (1) seems more useful to me.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> -Rick
>>>
>> +1.
>> A snapshot of 10.2 jars  is desirable as well, for early testing of
>> the enhancements added.
>>
>> -Rajesh
>>
> +1
>
> for both

+1 for both.

Dag

Re: pushing back release date for jdbc4-capable Derby

Posted by Manjula G Kutty <ma...@gmail.com>.
Rajesh Kartha wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> Note that our current nightly snapshots don't contain the jdbc40
>> classes. We could:
>>
>> 1) Change the nightly build to always generate the jdbc40 support or
>> 2) Hand-generate a snapshot early in May
>>
>> (1) seems more useful to me.
>>
>> Regards,
>> -Rick
>>
> +1.
> A snapshot of 10.2 jars  is desirable as well, for early testing of
> the enhancements added.
>
> -Rajesh

+1

for both

-Manjula

Re: pushing back release date for jdbc4-capable Derby

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
I think this sounds like a good idea.  That said, I'm sure I'm missing
something, but can someone explain the difference between a snapshot of
the trunk in May and a snapshot of Derby 10.2 in May?

Thanks,

David

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.