Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by SK R <rs...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/27 08:49:27 UTC

what's the use of proximity data?

Hi,
    Please clarify my doubts.
    What's the use of storing proximity data internally while indexing? Is
it only for score calculation or any other additional purpose?
    How lucene  handles phrase query? Whether it's depend on proximity data
of phrase terms or any other?

Thanks & Regards
RSK

Re: what's the use of proximity data?

Posted by karl wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
27 mar 2007 kl. 09.33 skrev SK R:

> Hi,
>      I'm speaking about term positions.
>      In Lucene File Format, the .prx file contains the lists of
> positions
> that each term occurs at within documents.
>     I asked what's the purpose of this .prx file?

It is generally used for phrase/span queries.

>     Also how phrasequery handled?

If the matching terms are within slop distance, the query is a match.
Or what do you ask here?

Slop and distance can affect the score. For exact meachanism see
PhraseScorerer.java, SloppyPhraseScorer.java or await a better answer
from someone else :)

--
karl

Re: what's the use of proximity data?