Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> on 2004/07/10 00:22:49 UTC

Web services performance

I've finally published my performance comparison of SOAP web services
using open source frameworks, at
http://www.sosnoski.com/presents/cleansoap/comparing.html In addition to
the performance comparison itself (using JAX-RI doc/lit, Axis doc/lit,
Axis-Castor, Axis rpc/enc, JibxSoap... and RMI, just as a baseline) this
also has what I consider to be some good tips and examples for building
the different types of Axis services (see
http://www.sosnoski.com/presents/cleansoap/axis.html). The performance
results (run using a build of Axis from last weekend, to get the latest
performance enhancements) at
http://www.sosnoski.com/presents/cleansoap/results.html do seem to show
some issues with Axis.

Axis developers are welcome to use the examples as part of the Axis
performance tests, if you'd like.

Now to catch up on the 886 messages I currently have stacked up in my
Axis folder (which this one will add to)...

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
Enterprise Java, XML, and Web Services

Re: Web services performance

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
I'll try to update it periodically, including the next beta and the
production release of Axis 1.2.

In going through those 886 messages from the Axis lists I did notice a
reference to a new disablePrettyXML global configuration parameter, so
I'll try using that in the tests (JAX-RPC RI does this by default, as
does the current JibxSoap). I can also try turning off sendXsiTypes for
the rpc/enc version, which should help its performance. Anyone know of
any other flags or controls that might make a significant difference for
Axis?

  - Dennis

Posted by Jim Murphy <jm...@mindreef.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,

We have not yet tuned performance for this release :( Was planning to
do it after the beta. Yes, i'd like to use the examples to help tune
Axis.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
I guess I should make the downloads more prominent. They're at the end
of each page discussing how a particular implementation was done, so in
the case of Axis at the end of this page:
http://www.sosnoski.com/presents/cleansoap/axis.html

Incidentally, besides wanting to get the benefits of the latest code
changes another reason for going with a recent daily build for the tests
was that it would actually run all three versions! Axis 1.1 ran the
rpc/enc version, but not either of the other two. Axis 1.2 alpha I think
ran the Castor one, but not the either two. Axis 1.2 beta I'm not sure
about - it may be that it'll run all three, except for needing to change
a name or two (but it doesn't include the Castor serializers/deserializers).

I'd seen some traffic from you on the list discussing some performance
improvements last month, so that was why I thought you might have made
some progress on this. This is the most comprehensive series of tests
I've done so I can't directly compare with results from earlier versions
of Axis. I don't think anything has changed dramatically, though.

As for XSOAP, JibxSoap... I think the whole web services picture has
changed dramatically with the move to doc/lit, and to me it seems like
JAX-RPC has a lot of legacy baggage that's based on the original rpc/enc
design philosophy. It really shouldn't be nearly as difficult as it is
now to build web services with decent performance in Java. JibxSoap may
or may not become a full framework in the future, but if nothing else
I'm hoping it'll get people thinking about what to expect in terms of
performance and ease of use.

  - Dennis

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,