Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rahul Singh <rk...@hotmail.com> on 2019/01/16 11:59:12 UTC

After updating to Tomcat V7.0.78 from V7.0.54 JSP compilation fails due to 65535 bytes limit

Hi Tomcat Team,

Thanks for your always support and guidence !!

In one of the web application Tomcat is migrated from V7.0.54 to V7.0.78. After update one phenomena is reported regarding JSP file compilation at run time.

From stack trace analysis it is evident that JSP to JAVA compilation is surpassing the 65535 bytes limit.

After analysis we have found some solution, but we would like to knowin which version this chnage is introduced BW Tomcat 7.0.54 and Tomcat 7.0.78. If possible we would like to know what chnages has been done in tomcat that leads to this phenomena.

JFYI, Same JSP was succesfully executed and compiled in Tomcat 7.0.54. and no information is mentioned in chnagelogs and relase notes related to this phenomena.

Your eraly response is highly appriciated !!

Regards,

Rahul kumar Singh

Re: After updating to Tomcat V7.0.78 from V7.0.54 JSP compilation fails due to 65535 bytes limit

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 16/01/2019 11:59, Rahul Singh wrote:
> Hi Tomcat Team,
>
> Thanks for your always support and guidance !!
>
> In one of the web application Tomcat is migrated from V7.0.54 to V7.0.78. After update one phenomena is reported regarding JSP file compilation at run time.
>

> From stack trace analysis it is evident that JSP to JAVA compilation is surpassing the 65535 bytes limit.
>
> After analysis we have found some solution, but we would like to know in which version this change is introduced between Tomcat 7.0.54 and Tomcat 7.0.78. If possible we would like to know what changes has been done in tomcat that leads to this phenomena.

Generally, it is all related to tag handling and tag pooling.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/changelog.html

7.0.71 - See Jasper section. Tag error handling. Added code.
7.0.74 - Bugs 60497 (added code)
7.0.76 - See Jasper section. Optimizations. Reduced code volume but
         cumulative effect was still an increase.

> JFYI, Same JSP was successfully executed and compiled in Tomcat 7.0.54. and no information is mentioned in changelogs and release notes related to this phenomena.

It is all in the change log. There are also quite a few references in
the archives of this mailing list around the time the change was introduced.

For future reference with similar issues, a diff between the Java source
code generated by 7.0.54 and that generated by 7.0.78 would have pointed
you in the right direction.

Mark