Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ben Eng <be...@jetpen.com> on 2005/04/28 18:06:51 UTC

automatically set element parameter in Foreach and ListEdit

Components that iterate like Foreach and ListEdit take an element
parameter. Usually, a static-binding is used to set the element; and
it is almost certainly the case that the element will match the tag
in the template, where the component appears. e.g.,

It would be a nice simplification if the element could by default be
inferred. e.g.,

<li jwcid="@Foreach">  <!-- element="li" by default -->

Similarly, I'd like to apply this pattern for any component that
iterates.

Ben

Re: automatically set element parameter in Foreach and ListEdit

Posted by Michael Musson <mu...@gmail.com>.
Or as a compromise: If the @Foreach is used on a span then have it
work as-is. But if the @Foreach is used on a non-span then infer the
element tag as suggested above.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Apr 28, 2005, at 12:06 PM, Ben Eng wrote:
> Components that iterate like Foreach and ListEdit take an element
> parameter. Usually, a static-binding is used to set the element; and
> it is almost certainly the case that the element will match the tag
> in the template, where the component appears. e.g.,

It is not always the case.  I rarely use the element=".." attribute on
@Foreach.

Perhaps this is a place for a custom component that wraps @Foreach and
sets the element attribute automatically for you?

	Erik

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
The 'For' component in the Base library on www.t-deli.com does precisely
this (by default 'element' is the same as the tag).

See http://www.t-deli.com/base-doc/components/Base.For.html

'For' also combines Foreach and ListEdit and provides the corresponding
functionality depending on the context it is in.