Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Tunstall <jo...@btinternet.com> on 2006/09/03 11:17:09 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache and router

Hi. I have a problem!

I am using Apache along with a software system on a server at a club. The system is accessed over Internet to make bookings. There is a router in between the club LAN and the Internet. There is a static IP address for the server. The first message from the Internet to the club that activates two introductory screens works fine and you will see an example with amended - for security reasons -  IP addresses below. The first interaction from the customer, when booking details are sent to the server over Internet, causes the http IP address to change to that of the router after which the booking sequence falls over because the server can no longer be accesed over Internet.

USING WEB ADDRESS

First screen

http://www.xxx.

2ndscreen

 http://www.xxx/cgi-bin

3rd screen where problem begins and router IP address is substituted

http://192.168.0.2/cgi-bin/ai

4th screen etc - problem remains

http://192.168.0.2/cgi-bin/ai

USING IP ADDRESS (Amended for security reasons)

First screen

 http://86.13.8.7/

 2nd screen

http://86.13.8.7/cgi-bin/ai

 3rd screen etc

http://192.168.0.2/cgi-bin/ai

My question. Is this an Apache config problem or a Router setting problem or both or neither?
What is the solution?

Thanks for any help
John Tunstall

Re: [users@httpd] Apache and router

Posted by John Tunstall <jo...@btinternet.com>.
Hi . Thanks for the help. There is some other script following the 2nd screen url. I omitted this because I thought it unecessary. cgi-bin is followed by /ai.
Apologies for not including this.
I am still puzzled why the url flips to the IP of the router on the occasion of the sending of a booking request from the user, outside of the router, to the server that is behind the router.

JohnT
  Your 2ndscreen URL looks very suspicious; I've never seen /cgi-bin which was not followed by something. Whatever has handled that URL looks like it has sent out a page with a URL containing http://192.168.0.2

  --
  Steve Swift
  http://www.swiftys.org.uk

Re: [users@httpd] Apache and router

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk

Re: [users@httpd] Apache and router

Posted by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl>.
John Tunstall wrote:
> Thanks again Steve.
> Yes this is where our CGI scripts are stored. But, do you have some ideas
> on the CGI script we can use to instruct Apache on the IP address to be
> used, namely not to use the Router IP but to use the static IP address of
> the server?

What's the value of ServerName in the config for the vhost (or if you
don't use vhosts, in the main config)?

Joost

Re: [users@httpd] Apache and router

Posted by John Tunstall <jo...@btinternet.com>.
Thanks again Steve.

Posted by John Tunstall <jo...@btinternet.com>.
Thanks Steve. Yes it is running under Windows.

JohnT

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.
That depends on how your apache is configured.  I could make guesses, but
that's all they would be.
Look in the configuration of your apache and see if you can find a like
similar to this:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/cgi-bin/"

This defines where on your system your CGI scripts are stored.
(there's my first guess - that your apache is running under Windows!)

On 04/09/06, John Tunstall <jo...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>  Hi Steve. Thanks for your help on this.
>
> Do you have an idea what the CGI script is that controls the IP address to
> be used?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> JohnT

Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk

Re: [users@httpd] Apache and router

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.
Well, you will probably have to inspect the CGI script that handles
/cgi-bin/ai to see why/if it is returning http://192.168.0.2 amongst its
output

If I were to guess, I'd say that the CGI script is trying to determine the
address of the server in order to generate URL's that refer to the server.
If it did this, then of course it would come up with 192.168.0.2 since that
*is* the address of the server.

If your CGI script is doing this then it would be far better if it used
relative URL's rather than fully-qualified ones.

On 03/09/06, John Tunstall <jo...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Jim. Thanks for the reply. Thats the problem. The static Ip address is in
> the first two urls but the url flips to that of the router as soon as a
> booking request is made from the outside to the server behind the router.
> Any ideas how Apache being used with Windows XP can be structured to
> overcome this and retauin the static IP that you see in the early screens
> below? Is it a config problem; a router proble; or what?
> Any help gratefully received.
>
> John T

Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk