Posted to users@ws.apache.org by "Zhou, Jing (Jing)" <ji...@lucent.com> on 2006/07/13 05:09:12 UTC

about commons codec

Hi all
   the commons-codec package is required in xmlrpc 2.0, but I find that I
can run the xmlrpc version 3 without commons-codec , so I want to know
whether it is redundant for xmlrpc version 3? thanks very much!

Re: about commons codec

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 7/13/06, Zhou, Jing (Jing) <ji...@lucent.com> wrote:

>    the commons-codec package is required in xmlrpc 2.0, but I find that I
> can run the xmlrpc version 3 without commons-codec , so I want to know
> whether it is redundant for xmlrpc version 3? thanks very much!

Good question. On

    http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc/dependencies.html

you find the commons-codec still listed. But I do believe, this is
only because commons-httpclient (which you do not need to use) lists
it as a dependency. And, even with commons-httpclient, I do not
believe, that you need it. From my point of view, the only
dependencies are:

  - ws-commons-util
  - commons-logging
  - ws-commons-java5 (If you are using JDK <=1.4)
  - xml-apis, xercesImpl (If you are using JDK <= 1.3)

Jochen

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the
majority, it is time to pause and reflect.