Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/19 12:10:45 UTC

[VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

PPMC and IPMC, please re-vote on the following regarding copyright issue ESME-47.

1. The Apache license block will be added at the beginning of each source file:
/* Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
 * contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with
 * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
 * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
 * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
 * the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at *
 * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 *
 * limitations under the License. */

2. The Apache License block will be followed by a legacy comment (Only in files where the WorldWide Conferencing notice currently exists, except any files where user dpp has not made any contribution):
/* * Portions Copyright 2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC */

3. A NOTICE file with the following text will be added:
Apache Foo Incubating Code Copyright 2010 The Apache Software Foundation.
This product includes software developed at The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

For details, please see this legal-discuss mailing list thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201001.mbox/%3cf767f0601001110028n54d85d03xaf703119fa08df6e@mail.gmail.com%3e

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Robert,

We have already had a lengthy discussion on legal-discuss:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201001.mbox/thread
Look for the "Committer refuses to remove copyright notices in source (ESME-47),	how best to solve? " thread.

I am not sure if this is the same list as the legal-private list you mention?

The text in this vote is a suggestion from William Rowe:
http://markmail.org/message/q6yweleer2voqvd3
(which no one on the legal-list objected to)

/Anne

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Robert,

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> ...I suggest you review the thread that was provided and then see if you want to reconsider your veto....
>
> As this vote is not about a technical issue, I don't think there are
> vetos - we should have explicitely specified that this is a majority
> vote.
>
> Robert and Gianugo, did you mean to veto this with your -1s, or just
> express your disagreement with the majority?

"Just" a strong disagreement.

--
Gianugo

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> ...I suggest you review the thread that was provided and then see if you want to reconsider your veto....
>>
>> As this vote is not about a technical issue, I don't think there are
>> vetos - we should have explicitely specified that this is a majority
>> vote.
>>
>> Robert and Gianugo, did you mean to veto this with your -1s, or just
>> express your disagreement with the majority?
>
> i consider making claims about third party copyright ownership rather
> than a statement of fact is positively dangerous from a legal
> perspective
>
> so, it's a legal team veto until i have chance to review (my exam is
> tomorrow morning so i should be able to find some time in the
> afternoon)...

Ok, this should leave enough time for you to review within this vote's
72 hours duration ;-)

Please review this thread on the legal-discuss list, in particular:
http://markmail.org/thread/fy3gfbgezgkcq44j

Several experienced folks have voiced their opinions there, we didn't
just make this up out of thin air.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Fri January 22 2010 5:05:47 am Anne Kathrine Petterøe wrote:
> Bertrand,
>
> To be honest it is difficult to work under such circumstances.
> I am not sure we will get anything done until this issue is resolved.
>
> /Anne

Anne,

I know this is a very difficult situation, but I hope you realize that this is
actually one of the main advantages of Apache over most of the other "forges"
and such that are out there.    One thing Apache tries its best to do is to
make sure everything is squeaky clean from a legal perspective so that users
of Apache software can use the software with some level of confidence in it's
legal status.   To accomplish that, every once in a while, we need to suffer
through some of these situations to make sure everything is OK.   With many of
the other communities, they don't have the legal council available to help
figure out what the proper solutions are to problems like these and the final
result may or may not be "legal" and could cause long term issues for the
project.

In the end, I hope the companies that are using ESME will be happy that this
has been resolved satisfactory and they can once again be confident in the
legal status of ESME.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Anne Kathrine Petterøe
<yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does Robert's vote count as a normal -1?

I'd list both Gianugo's and Robert's -1s and specify that according to
their authors they express disagreement, not vetos.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Does Robert's vote count as a normal -1?

/Anne Kathrine
Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Anne,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Anne,

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Well, at least I am learning a lot about law and ASF policies, which has been interesting and "fun" on a personal level. However I don't think it has done ESME much good. I hope this issue will resolve itself quickly so that we hopefully can get back on track.

/Anne

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Anne,

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.
<yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bertrand,
>
> To be honest it is difficult to work under such circumstances.
> I am not sure we will get anything done until this issue is resolved.

I hear you. If it cheers you up somewhat, I hope you can see value in
this somewhat cumbersome process, as at a very least you know we go
the extra mile (and then some) to ensure our developers and users are
protected. This is a big, and almost unique, selling point of Apache -
we do take such issues seriously and while it is easy to dismiss them
as bureaucratic red tape, believe me you really don't want to face the
consequences of mistakes in IP management. While I believe this is a
false positive, we all have to cope with the height we raise our bars:
in our case, we know we have high standards and they unfortunately
come at a price.

The other good news is that Apache has a very, very responsive,
competent and helpful counsel and this is the highest possible
escalation level you will ever hit. I am confident this will be solved
in hours, not days.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
M: +44 779 5364 932 / +39 389 44 26 846

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Bertrand,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
i've had time to take a brief look at the mailing lists and IMHO this
matter needs to be taken private (and i started the balls rolling for
that). i will issue a formal veto with both IPMC and legal hats on in
due course. i just wanted to know that i'm going to unsubscribe this
email address from these lists until this matter has been sorted out.

if you really feel you must contact me privately, please use my apache
address and note that i will be copying in board and legal on any
communications. i would much prefer members to use the appropriate
private lists. committers are going to need to ask their mentors.

(sorry guys this needs to be take private. the mentors will let you
know when we have a solution. i think ESME's really cool. we've
resolved similar issues before and i'm confident of a happy ending but
you may have to put up with some short term inconvenience.)

- robert

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Robert, can you please clarify your concerns:

1. You have stated that the suggested copyright statement is factually
incorrect. I do not see how that is that case, as portions of the
files *are* copyright as described.

2. You are stating that having the notice in the file is dangerous. How?

Given the extensive prior discussion of this issue and the appearance
of a consensus on both this list and the legal-discuss list, I think
you owe this project a more thorough explanation along with your veto.

Thanks,
Ethan

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

I have no fucking idea what you are harping on, perhaps it is the word "portions"
that has your panties in a bunch.  That's all that's being proposed in this vote,
adding the word "portions" to a preexisting copyright statement.  I fail to see
the innacuracy of that word in the context of the ASF unless you are worried
about the case where the word "portions" should be interpreted as "everything".

FWIW, here is the SFLC article in question:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html

I'd be happy to read the article to you someday since it's clear you haven't,
I will just point out that the instructions there about copyright notices
are there because the open source license in question demands for them to be
preserved. The ICLA is not in that category, period.

> > The agreement here is the CLA, not the Apache License or some other
> > open source license.
>
> my point has nothing to do with that: my point is that the statement
> is not correct and moreover is dangerous

The "portions" addition?  Incorrect? Dangerous? Really?  I wonder how it
esapeded your peers as well as the attorneys that read legal-discuss for
content.

> >> the rest is politics and i don't have the cycles for that ATM.
> >
> > Well since I've answered your issues, I'd like to ask that you retract your
> veto.,
>
> my veto is valid since you missed entirely my point and have failed to
> address it

So I've tried again.  This time I hope my answers are satisfactory.

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

licenses.  The agreement here is the CLA, not the Apache License or some other
open source license.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

be addressed. Eben Moglen's article gives advice on the right way to

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> > wrote:
> want to reconsider your veto....
> >>
> >> As this vote is not about a technical issue, I don't think there are
> >> vetos - we should have explicitely specified that this is a majority
> >> vote.
> >>
> >> Robert and Gianugo, did you mean to veto this with your -1s, or just
> >> express your disagreement with the majority?
> >
> > i consider making claims about third party copyright ownership rather
> > than a statement of fact is positively dangerous from a legal
> > perspective
> >
> > so, it's a legal team veto until i have chance to review (my exam is
> > tomorrow morning so i should be able to find some time in the
> > afternoon)
> >
> > if anyone objects or feels that i am wrong then please raise on the
> > legal lists. if sam ruby or a majority of the legal team folks feel
> > that i'm wrong then i'm happy to be outvoted.
>
> BTW Eben Moglen has an excellent article on how to do this right

Here you've gone completely batshit, as I'm quite certain Eben Moglen has
never written about this precise issue.

Grow up Robert. It's the legal team's policy that is being exploited by
a committer who knows what is written down.  Fix the damned policy so
it actually supports rational behavior by project members and ALL my
complaints, as well as Gianugo's complaints, disappear.

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
Let me be clear too, I'm not trying to mess with the vote in any way,
just wondering if my email account was going nuts, as I've seen a
couple of gmail hiccups in the last days and was over-sensitive... :)

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Robert and Gianugo, did you mean to veto this with your -1s, or just
>> express your disagreement with the majority?
>
> I might be thick or gmail buggy, but where is Gianugo's -1 ? I can't find it...

I just replied to the wrong email which wasn't cc'd here, apologies.
So let me restate here: it's a non-binding, non-vetoeing -1 based on
the fact I think this solution is (a) incompatible with our own policy
and (b) makes a special case for an individual which is both unfair
(towards people and organizations who contributed significantly more)
and a precedent for others to claim they should receive the same
treatment.

--
Gianugo

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
Definitely a case of buggy gmail/our list software, it is not here...

I'm loosing more and more emails messages without any warning, and I'd
like to know if it is trouble in our infrastructure or in gmail.
Anybody knows?

Regards
Santiago

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Robert and Gianugo, did you mean to veto this with your -1s, or just
>> express your disagreement with the majority?
>
> I might be thick or gmail buggy, but where is Gianugo's -1 ? I can't find it...

It's on esme-dev only, wasn't CCed here:
http://markmail.org/message/njvhvrtvtqm4d2ix

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Jan 19, 2010, at 8:51 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Anne Kathrine Petterøe
> <yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> PPMC and IPMC, please re-vote on the following regarding copyright issue ESME-47.
>
> <snip>
>
>> 2. The Apache License block will be followed by a legacy comment (Only in files where the WorldWide Conferencing notice currently exists, except any files where user dpp has not made any contribution):
>> /* * Portions Copyright 2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC */
>
> <ipmc-hat><legal-hat><ianal>
>
> if this language has not been cleared with our lawyers on legal-private then :
>
> * i'm -1 on this phrasing
> * please raise a legal JIRA for appropriate language

As others have said, this has been discussed at length on legal-discuss. The "lawyers" have expressed their opinion (that it mostly doesn't matter).  I think requesting a Jira issue for this is a bad idea because a) it is highly unlikely that the result will be different and b) legal Jira issues aren't noted for being resolved quickly and c) Jira issues are resolved by lawyers.

I suggest you review the thread that was provided and then see if you want to reconsider your veto.

Ralph

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Anne Kathrine Petterøe
<yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PPMC and IPMC, please re-vote on the following regarding copyright issue ESME-47.

For the sake of consistency (both with the ASF policy, and myself), I
still wish to register my  -1.

Posted by "dhague@fortybeans.com" <dh...@fortybeans.com>.
+1

I quite like Apache Foo ;-)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Craig

On Jan 19, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> This issue was discussed extensively on legal-discuss, this proposal
> matches my understanding of the consensus opinion reached there.
>
> Here's my +1 (IPMC binding)
>
> --kevan
>
> On Jan 19, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> (ccing both lists now..)
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Anne Kathrine Petterøe
>> <yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> PPMC and IPMC, please re-vote on the following regarding copyright
>>> issue ESME-47.
>>
>> +1 on what's suggested below (IPMC binding)
>> -Bertrand
>>

>>> 1. The Apache license block will be added at the beginning of each
>>> source file:
>>> /* Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or
>>> more
>>> * contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed
>>> with
>>> * this work for additional information regarding copyright
>>> ownership.
>>> * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License,
>>> Version 2.0
>>> * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
>>> with
>>> * the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at *
>>> * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 *
>>> * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
>>> software
>>> * distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>>> * WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
>>> implied.
>>> * See the License for the specific language governing permissions
>>> and
>>> * limitations under the License. */
>>>
>>> 2. The Apache License block will be followed by a legacy comment
>>> (Only in files where the WorldWide Conferencing notice currently
>>> exists, except any files where user dpp has not made any
>>> contribution):
>>> /* * Portions Copyright 2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC */
>>>
>>> 3. A NOTICE file with the following text will be added:
>>> Apache Foo Incubating Code Copyright 2010 The Apache Software
>>> Foundation.
>>> This product includes software developed at The Apache Software
>>> Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>>>

>>> For details, please see this legal-discuss mailing list thread:
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201001.mbox/%3cf767f0601001110028n54d85d03xaf703119fa08df6e@mail.gmail.com%3e

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mrinal Wadhwa <mr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Think I forgot to vote myself +1

/Anne Kathrine
Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
(ccing both lists now..)

Re: Fwd: [VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

-- dims

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.