Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2014/11/04 08:04:35 UTC

Patched 4.3.1 SystemVMs (was Re: git commit: updated refs/heads/master to 88acc9b)

Hi again,

> On 04-Nov-2014, at 6:01 am, Santhosh Edukulla <sa...@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> Apart from SSLv3, we may want to disable TLS1.0, TLS1.1, as they have similar vulnerabilities.

If we don’t support TLS v1.0, it will break console proxy on IE etc. Further, what vulnerabilities do TLS v1.0 and v1.1 have?

Here’s the tool to check POODLE vulnerability on your servers: http://packages.shapeblue.com/tools/poodle-checker.sh (taken from RedHat)

Patched systemvm template for 4.3.1 that fixes for ShellShock and POODLE:
http://packages.shapeblue.com/systemvmtemplate/4.3/4.3.1

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: Patched 4.3.1 SystemVMs (was Re: git commit: updated refs/heads/master to 88acc9b)

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
> On 04-Nov-2014, at 2:52 pm, Santhosh Edukulla <sa...@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> As well, we may want to just revert the previous changes done to httpd.conf to keep the configuration of ciphers consistent across files.

Sure that was a mistake.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Santhosh,

Please go ahead with any better fix you think would work on any/all of the affected (release) branches.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Santhosh Edukulla <sa...@citrix.com>.
Rohit,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
- user-ML

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Santhosh Edukulla <sa...@citrix.com>.
Rohit,

As well, we may want to just revert the previous changes done to httpd.conf to keep the configuration of ciphers consistent across files.

There we mentioned to support only TLS1...etc through + logic

Here, we are excluding few protocols from all.

Regards
Santhosh

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Hari,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Hari,

Posted by Harikrishna Patnala <ha...@citrix.com>.
Regarding the configurations in httpd.conf, they don't apply to apache server running in our system vms.

We need to put the configuration in “/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/ssl.conf”, if you see apache2.conf it includes ssl.conf “Include mods-enabled/*.conf" not httpd.conf.

I tried using namp, it worked if we put the configuration in ssl.conf.

-Harikrishna

On 04-Nov-2014, at 1:49 pm, Santhosh Edukulla <sa...@citrix.com>> wrote:

1. The article is just a reference, but if we use a known security scanner the combination of ssl protocol and cipher suites used identifies these vulnerabilities on a given machine with available TLS lower versions, check for some thing like beast attack.

2. The conf file changes done will not countermeasure the sytemplate vuln issue i believe, we may still wanted to confirm that its indeed the httpd.conf which needs to be changed for apache2 as well for the particular template fix.

Regards.
Santhosh

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi,

> On 04-Nov-2014, at 1:49 pm, Santhosh Edukulla <sa...@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> 2. The conf file changes done will not countermeasure the sytemplate vuln issue i believe, we may still wanted to confirm that its indeed the httpd.conf which needs to be changed for apache2 as well for the particular template fix.

AFAIK, on SSVM apache2 runs to serve templates/iso/volumes which users download and it uses 443/https and uses a custom SSL certificate if uploaded. If SSL is not enabled then it does not apply.

In case of CPVM, the Java based agent uses an in-memory SSL keystore (that mgmt server sends it when it starts) and it implements its own Java based webservice that serves the console proxy over 443/https, again if SSL is enabled and a SSL certificate was uploaded.

In both cases, if SSL is not enabled (global settings) for SSVM/CPVM these SSL based attacks don’t apply. Other than these components, it’s the ACS mgmt server (tomcat) or the reverse-proxy/LB in front of it that needs to be fixed either in the server.xml file or in respective reverse-proxy (such as nginx) or the LB (netscaler etc). I’m only aware of these components prone to SSL attacks. If there are other areas, we should find and fix them.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Santhosh Edukulla <sa...@citrix.com>.
Hi Rohit,

1. does changing in httpd.conf reflects the setting for apache2?  Use the nmap script as suggested below to identify ssl versions on installed system vm template. Check the suggested change works or not.

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/70733/how-do-i-use-openssl-s-client-to-test-for-absence-of-sslv3-support