Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Sajid Khan <as...@yahoo.co.in> on 2006/12/04 13:24:28 UTC

Regarding adding one more factor in lucene scoring formula

Hi all,
       I need to add one more factor(like tf, idf .....) in the lucene
scoring formula. But i am not getting any idea of where should i update the
code in Lucene.
      Can anybody  please help me to solve the problem?

Ragards
Sajid Khan

Re: Regarding adding one more factor in lucene scoring formula

Posted by Sajid Khan <as...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hi Grant
     Thanks for the instant reply.

Actually, there are two parts of the problem I'm trying to solve:

1) I want to show the results which contain the exact query phrase on
top followed by results containing all the terms in the  query but the
terms are not in the same sequence as the query.
This means the result will be ordered as
   (exact match) followed by (results for ANDed query terms)

2) When the query terms are scattered far from each other, I want to
give such results a low ranking. This is the formula I'm using:
         If the query is "A B C", I want to calculate the minimum
distance in word count between 'A and B' say x, 'B and C' say y, 'C and A'
say z. Then to calculate
                      distanceWeight = (1/x) * (1/y) * (1/z),

          Hence, this value will be calculated and incorporated into
lucene's scoring formula for each of the results (or maybe only top 1000
results) within the ANDed result set.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

regards
Sajid Khan