Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by N G <ni...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/05 21:16:35 UTC

How to validate web.xml

Hi,

I am trying to figure how Tomcat validates web.xml (servlet spec 2.4).

Here is what I did (running Tomcat 5.5.7):

1) In server.xml, I changed the attribute xmlValidation="true", in Host element
2) Changed web-app element within my web.xml to say this:
         xsi:schemaLocation=
           "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee whatever"
         version="2.4">

Note, that I literaly put the word "whatever" there and it still
starts up and works just fine.

Can someone explain to me what I am missing? How does Tomcat validate web.xml???

I know that if I try to validate this file with an XML tool, the
validation fails. So, why doesn't Tomcat complain?

Thanks,
NG.