Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stuart Roebuck <st...@adolos.co.uk> on 2001/04/05 20:22:44 UTC

[C2] Problems with more than 10 simultaneous image requests

I'm coming across a problem when the current CVS of C2 is put under heavy
load.  I wonder whether it could be something to do with the component
pooling.  It appears as thought there may be a problem when more than
about 10 images are requested simultaneously.

Any thoughts?

The net result is that pages loaded during the heavy load period exhibit
missing images, as if the requests have been refused rather than delayed.
Reaccessing the page brings the images back no problem.

I'm sorry that I'm just generating bug reports at the moment and not doing
much to follow them through.  Hopefully I'll have a bit more time sometime
soon!

Stuart.

Re: [C2] Problems with more than 10 simultaneous image requests

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stuart Roebuck wrote:

> This is just a single client calling up the images of a single page.  I've
> just spent a bit of time looking for an exception and had problems
> reproducing the fault for a while, but I think this is it:

I narrowed down the problem.  It had to do with the Lock class not doing what
it was designed to do.  I completely reimplemented it (it blocks until
it is unlocked), and slammed my personal server with JMeter.  I was quite
pleased to see that performance almost doubled due to the inneficiency of
storing locks in a Hashtable.

Re: [C2] Problems with more than 10 simultaneous image requests

Posted by Stuart Roebuck <st...@adolos.co.uk>.
On Friday, April 6, 2001, at 01:36  pm, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stuart Roebuck wrote:

>>> Are you using the DatabaseReader or the ResourceReader?
>>
>> ResourceReader.
>
> What is the load that exibited this behavior?  How many requests/second,
> simultaneous clients, etc.?  I have a feeling that this may be tied to
> the Pool throwing an exception when too many demands are placed on it,
> which means that I need to slam that thing to reproduce the error (and
> lower the number of cached instances).

This is just a single client calling up the images of a single page.  I've
just spent a bit of time looking for an exception and had problems
reproducing the fault for a while, but I think this is it:

ERROR   24369   [cocoon  ] (HttpProcessor[8080][1]): Problem with servlet
         at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(ArrayList.java:491)
         at java.util.ArrayList.remove(ArrayList.java:375)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.ComponentPool.put(ComponentPool.java:192)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentHandler.put
(CocoonComponentHandler.java:174)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.release
(CocoonComponentManager.java:218)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(sitemap_xmap.java:952)
         at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.process(Handler.java:153)
         at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Manager.invoke(Manager.java:107)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:425)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:246)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:191)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.
java:255)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:
566)
         at
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:879)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.
java:225)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:
566)
         at
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:879)
         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.
java:2175)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:164)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:
566)
         at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.
java:446)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:
564)
         at
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:879)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:
162)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:
566)
         at
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:879)
         at
827)
         at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:904)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:496)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stuart Roebuck <st...@adolos.co.uk>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.