Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com> on 2007/04/11 07:42:53 UTC

leaving ofbiz for a while

For the past few months, I have been trying to put together some
technical documentation on ofbiz.  I wanted the book to be detailed
and accurate, but I have found it difficult to get answers to a lot
of my questions on the mailing lists.  I have found the whole process
very tiring, and wasteful of time as I am having to spend a lot of
effort working things out by looking through code.   Maybe my emails
are too rude?  Maybe the mailing lists aren't working (what about
lists for tech-user, functional-user, dev, docs)?

Eclipse BIRT have got it right.  They have provided an excellent
users manual (field guide) and an excellent developers guide
(integrating and extending BIRT).  That really ramps up your
knowledge of BIRT before looking at the code.  With ofbiz, I've had
to pretty much dive straight into the code (and spend time weaving my
way through classpath loaders, container loaders, etc, before getting
to find what I needed).

Anyway, I've uploaded my scribbles if anyone finds it useful but an
awful lot of work is needed to finish it off.

 > http://docs.ofbiz.org/download/attachments/1218/ofbiz_tech.pdf

See you in a few months ...

believed to be clean.

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Shi Jinghai <sh...@langhua.cn>.
Sailing, wiki or blog. I think this is the most effective way at current
period.

Good luck,

Shi Jinghai/Beijing Langhua Ltd.

在 2007-04-11三的 06:42 +0100,Christopher Snow写道:

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
This is more of an Undersun specific issue (ie not much to do with
OFBiz), so sorry for everyone seeing this on the mailing list.

We announced the new packaged on the OFBiz mailing lists in early
August 2006, and it looks like I sent you an email personally Chris
(to snowch@coralms.com) on 7 Aug 2006, 4:01:33 PM MDT.

It sounds like you didn't get that, and it has a promo code for a
discount (basically a full credit for the previous version), so I'll
forward that message to you again.

Sorry about the confusion!

-David

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
David has let everyone know that there are updated documents, etc
that are available on the undersun site (soon to be HotWax Media!).
As for upgrade path, those who bought them in the past get a very
substantial savings on the new videos.

Chris, I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com>.
Jacques,

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com>.
David,

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Scott,

 > I'm surprised at time being the factor behind you not contributing your code,

It seems like whenever somebody contributes code, he/she is about the only one interested in
reviewing it for commit.

The pace at which I add enhancements may be too difficult (for me) to handle. I'd have to neatly
itemize my enhancements, and that takes time. Easier if I just submit one big crude patch.

 > I have always believed that you save time by getting your code into the
 > trunk.  Once it's in the trunk you no longer have to deal with conflicts and
 > you are no longer the only one charged with improving the code,

True. But conflicts are easy to handle if you use test branches. Use the branch/explore/prune
strategy. Then you can boldly update wholesale from OFBiz SVN, and pick off new bugs over time.
All that time, you still have your clean stable branch deployed.

I update from OFBiz SVN stream once a week. Wholesale. Then I pick off any new bugs over time.

Also, "once it's in the trunk" doesn't mean you can really kick back. Somebody might break the
existing code!

I enhance/customize OFBiz in a very "insulated" manner. Minimal chance for conflicts upon updates.

 > it also opens your code to review which may help improve the implementation
 > itself.

Reviews seems to happen rarely in OFBiz, probably given the lack of resources here. I've fixed
some weird bugs in OFBiz that were probably several months old. This project has a spectator size
of 400+? Some open-source projects have 10s of 1000s, and that's when you can be sure reviews will
happen, fast.

 > I think we have enough contribution reviewers, the shortage is in actual
 > contributions.  There are plenty of bug reports, wishlists and experiments
 > in jira but not a great deal of contributions awaiting review.

Hmm. Ok, I'll just mention this again, just to be fair to Christopher Snow (the new member).
Anyway, I really don't mind getting roughed up by the core team all over again (yes, I'm thick, a
thick workaholic). No sticks nor stones, though, I do break. :)

Here are steps that a new member goes through:

1. Ask for help, get benefits gratuitously.

2. Realize he's gotten so much for free.

3. Become competent with OFBiz.

4. Feel like making the OFBiz world better in return, spread the good news.

By step 4, the new member is no longer new, and is competent enough to contribute back.

Seldom do you get new members who jump in at step 3. If they don't get past step 1, they won't go
to step 2.

I know David Jones has some theory about this formula: Offering more docs/help does not guarantee
more contributions.

Frankly, I'm no expert on human psychology (did I mention I'm thick?). But as a new member, I
don't find enough slack right now to be able to contribute back to OFBiz. Even writing answers and
the ML to begin with. Therefore, I have very little slack right now.

BUT.. BUT, nobody in the OFBiz community owes me anything. Help is easier in the form of
references. Most techies who are potential contributors will appreciate reading materials and
manuals more than the human touch.

And to top off the guilty verdict, I did gets things working, and even got to enhancing OFBiz at
its cores. I can't find the time to contribute back right now. So, I am guilty. David Jones once
said (to me, I think) that "many who even got it working in production don't contribute back".
Guilty guilty guilty. Sigh. Maybe OFBiz will become like Linux, more meant for die hards.

Better to teach us newbies how to fish (docs/references) than to help us 1 issue by 1 issue on the ML.

Jonathon

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathon,

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Scott,

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
There are "training" outlines that have been around for years and
these are intended to be the overall structure for documentation, or
at least technical level documentation. They are here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Comprehensive+OFBiz+Training
+Outlines

For end-user documentation there is already quite a bit of structure
in the end-user space, especially under the End User Docs Home page:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBENDUSER/OFBiz+End+User+Docs+Home

-David

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com>.
Scott,

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Christopher,

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Shi Jinghai <sh...@langhua.cn>.
Hi Chris,

After thinking it for a while, I think I can contribute a domain name
such as ofbiz-wiki.org and a website space and templates simplar to
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/local which can help you and your team to
write ofbiz documents eithor in English or in other languages.

If you agree to continue your writing in this way, please feed back, and
then I'll arrange my staff to register the domain and build the website
templates for you.

Kind regards,

Re: leaving ofbiz for a while

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Christopher,
I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations. I think most people who
frequent the lists will be disappointed to read your message as we all
put in quite a bit of time to help grow the community by pointing
people in the direction of the resources they seek or in answering a
direct question head on.

I might suspect that the mailing lists were broken as well if it
weren't for the 30+ messages I receive a day from them.  Looking
through the archive, I can't see too many of your questions that went
unanswered from myself, much less from someone else in the community.
So, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how we can prevent users like yourself
from becoming disenchanted with the project.  If you have suggestions,
I would certainly enjoy reading them.

In any event, thank you for putting together your notes and making them
available for others.  I look forward to pointing people in it's
direction so that they may learn from your experiences. Hopefully the
break will be a short one and you can come back and reap the benefits
of the project and we will, in turn, be able to reap the benefits of
your contributions.  Good Luck!

Chris