Posted to user@struts.apache.org by ajTreece <aj...@sun.com> on 2002/10/22 21:34:25 UTC

Netscape v4.7x browser, style sheet and font problems

Afternoon folks...

This is weird and is really driving me crazy (even though it could be a
short drive). I'm building a webapp using struts 1.1b1 utilizing tiles
and the whole nine yards. I'm also using style sheets to somewhat
control the fonts used and the font sizes on the screen. Using Netscape
v6 or 7, the Mozilla browsers and even Internet Explorer work
beautifully. My problem arises when using v4.7x of the Netscape browser.
Granted this browser is years behind when it comes to current technology,
but there is a big dependence for this browser in my company so I must
make sure everything is A.O.K. for that platform.

When a page is rendered on the v4.7x browser all text on the page
whether controlled by the style sheet or not is displayed as one font
style and one font size. I can't say for sure but the font looks like
Verdana around 48pt. For the longest time I assumed it was just a style
sheet issue, but I'm not convinced. It's not very scientific, but I
copied the source from the rendered v4.7x screen into a new html file
and when I displayed that html file the fonts looked perfect.

This is a big problem for me because I'm in the process of
"evangelizing" struts technology to the rest of my development group for
use in all of our applications, but Netscape v4.7x is sticking point
that I can't get around.

I'm open for any suggestions...

Thanks, ajTreece

Re: Netscape v4.7x browser, style sheet and font problems

Posted by Michael Baldwin <Mi...@Sun.COM>.
Netscape 4.7 just doesn't support CSS very well.  Your problems aren't
really struts issues but rather CSS support issues.

If you scan sites that detail out CSS support issues you will find some
indication of the kinds of things that do not work well CSS-wise with NS 4.x

In general:
1. Given the size differences in how browsers and platforms render
fonts, avoid explcitly specifying font sizes in the styles -- by not
specifying a font size, users' selected default font size is used.
There are cases, however, where a slightly smaller or larger font size
is required. To handle these cases, use a relative size (in ems) is used
in the style.  This works a little differently across browsers - for
example, the small font value is .8em for Netscape 4 Windows and .9em
for all other browsers and platforms.

2. Sometimes it is necessary to use different style sheets for different
browsers.  If you find that you need to do this, use browser detection
to figure out if you're dealing with NS 4.x.  If so, load a CSS style
sheet that is specific to NS 4.x.

good luck,
Michael

Andrew Hill wrote:
> IMHO people who use NS4.7 dont deserve struts.... ;-)
>
> Hard to understand how it could look so different in the 'copied' page - but
> with NS4 anything can go wrong and usually does.
>
> Is the copied page still accessing your stylesheet?
> How does it look when you dont use the stylesheet?
> Is it just your 4.7 installation or everyone sees the problem?
>
> I seem to remember something about being able to override stylesheets from
> one of the browser menus (which was actually quite a popular feature as
> people could crank up font sizes to make small writing readable regardless
> of the stylesheet used...).

Michael Baldwin
   Software Architect, Sun Services
   Product Engineering  <mi...@sun.com>

   200 University Avenue
   Toronto, Ontario
   M5H 3C6
   Canada

   Fax: 416.964.1021
   Work: 416.964.2001 ext.3552

RE: Netscape v4.7x browser, style sheet and font problems