Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2004/08/29 15:43:14 UTC

Re: best way to do this in tapestry

On Aug 29, 2004, at 2:18 PM, Francisco Hernandez wrote:
> what would be the best way to have a select filled with states but
> have the first selection say "Select State"?
>
> I was going to use FieldLabel and PropertySelection but then i found
> out that you cant use them together, besides writing my own component
> and using select/option components is there any other pre-built way to
> do this?
>
> i do need it to hook into validation so if they submit the form when
> the select is still having "Select State" selected, it should gt
> highlighted in red and with stars on the side like
> FieldLabel/ValidField works

For our project, I created a custom PropertySelection-like component
that ties into validation, and tweaked our custom IValidationDelegate
to decorate FieldLabel appropriately.  It shouldn't have been this much
work to do, but at least the framework allowed for it.

At some point I will contribute these types of customizations we've
done back somehow.  I've no problem sharing the code - but I'm 1) too
busy to package it up with all the polish it deserves and 2) hesitant
to go too far down the path of hacking the current state of validation
in Tapestry when I'm sure it will architecturally change in future
versions.

	Erik

Re: Question on database mapper

Posted by je...@nordija.com.
> What is the best database object mapper to use with tapestry?
>
> Currently we use torque but it seems like most people are using or
> switching
> to hibernate.
>
> Which is the best or pros and cons?
>
> Torque is very easy to use is hibernate?
I don´t know anything about Torgue but, Hibernate together with xdoclet is
very easy to use.
You referer you xdoclet generated xml files in a common xml file (suprise).

Hibernate supports a good query language and have support for lazyload of
one-to-many, many-to-many relations.

MySql is supported but I don´t know about mssql, but I don´t think its a
problem.

> What about problems, which is more supported, etc?

I guess that Hibernate has the biggest community hence you are able to get
good support on the mailing list etc.

/Jacob

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Aug 30, 2004, at 2:49 AM, Francisco Hernandez wrote:
> what are theses changes that are going to happen with tapestry's
> validation?

Nothing is set in code yet, but here are some thoughts:

	http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-tapestry/ImprovedValidationProposal

Re: best way to do this in tapestry

Posted by Francisco Hernandez <la...@lagcisco.com>.