Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Chandru <ch...@bobcat.ent.ohiou.edu> on 2003/11/11 02:42:42 UTC

RE: Problems with outgoing email

Hi,
Took me a bit of time to figure out that I need to point James to the
apropriate dns server (default is localhost).  The nameservers are set
correctly (I am using yahoo's namesservers currently).

The emails seem to be going out from James:

10/11/03 20:21:50 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Attempting
delivery of Mail1068513709624-10-to-yahoo.com to host
mx1.mail.yahoo.com. to addresses [chandru@yahoo.com]
10/11/03 20:21:51 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Mail
(Mail1068513709624-10-to-yahoo.com) sent successfully to
mx1.mail.yahoo.com.

However, they still don't show up at my yahoo address.  Any pointers on
where I could start digging?
Thanks
Chandru

Posted by Edward Flick <ed...@cdf-imaging.com>.

Taking the plunge - Some success!

Posted by James Bucanek <su...@gloaming.com>.
Mostly FYI, with one question at the end.

As I mentioned yesterday, I decided to play around with Eclipse and James.  I seem to have been somewhat successful (after a few false starts, which we'll ignore).

More or less, I did the following:

(a) Created a CVS Repository Explorer for Jakarta at cvs.apache.org/home/cvspublic, using "anoncvs" for the user id and password.

(b) Checked out the HEAD > james-server directory into a new Java project named JamesCuttingEdge.

(c) Changed the source directory to ./src/java.  Accepted the default build directory of ./bin.

(d) Added (as External JARs) all of the libraries I could find in ./lib, ./lib/candidates, and ./phoenix-bin/lib.

(e) Discovered that the Java Mail, and Java Activation Framework are option downloads.  Downloaded the jars for Java Mail 1.3.1 <http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/>, and JAF 1.0.2 <http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/glasgow/jaf.html>.  Added those as external JARs.

(f) Compiled, but got an error

    Class must implement the inherited abstract method Connection.createStatement(int, int, int)
    PoolConnEntry.java - JamesCuttingEdge/src/java/org/apache/james/util/mordred - line 76

Realized that I was compiling against the Java 1.4.1 library.  Changed my classpath to compile against the 1.3.1 library.  This lead me to discover that the javax.sql package is NOT part of 1.3.1.  Downloaded the JDBC 2.0 "Optional" package <http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/download.html#spec> and added the JAR as an external library.

-- At this point, everything compiled!  I honestly thought it would be a lot harder to get this far.

(g) Decided to push my luck and run the 'main' build.xml target.  Quickly discovered that the Ant build expects the Java Mail and JAF libraries to be in the project's ./lib directory.  Moved them both there, and renamed mail.jar to mail-1.3.1.jar.

-- And this is the point where I'm stuck.  I'm gettting compile errors from Ant, starting with this one:

compile-main:
        [echo] Compiling James Java sources
       [javac] Compiling 197 source files to /Applications/eclipse/workspace/JamesCuttingEdge/build/classes
       [javac] /Applications/eclipse/workspace/JamesCuttingEdge/src/java/org/apache/james/util/SqlResources.java:68: cannot resolve symbol
       [javac] symbol  : class DocumentBuilder
       [javac] location: package parsers
       [javac] import javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder;
       [javac]                          ^

While I know that 1.3.1 doesn't include the javax.xml package, it appears that the James project includes phoenix-bin/lib/xercesImpl-2.0.2.jar, which I assume is the Xerces XML library.  Any idea what I'm missing at this point?

I also suppose that Ant might be using the wrong javac or core libraries.  I'll try to investigate that possibility a little later today.

James

Taking the plunge - Eclipse + Ant = James

Posted by James Bucanek <su...@gloaming.com>.
Greetings,

I'm about the take the plunge and see if I build James from source, then see if I'm programmer enough to contribute.  ;)

I'm taking this opportunity to learn/evaluate Eclipse at the same time.  Is anyone else here using Eclipse?  If so, is there anything I need to know about building James in Eclipse or accessing James' CVS repository via Eclipse?  (Ant scripts would be nice!)

If no one is using Eclipse, or has some reason why I shouldn't be using it, I'd like to know that too.

Thanks,

James

Re: Problems with outgoing email

Posted by "Richard O. Hammer" <RO...@EarthLink.net>.
Two tools which I find useful for troubleshooting such difficulties are:
1. telnet to port 25 of the server in question (one of the Yahoo
servers which DNS is finding for you) and talk SMTP to it.  That is,
type in SMTP commands and observe the responses.  You can send test
messages to yourself in this low-level way.  For an example of a SMTP
exchange, see RFC 2821, Appendix D.

2. Ethereal to capture the packets of a given exchange.  It is
possible that some error message is being generated, in the exchange
between javax.mail.Transport and the yahoo mail server, which is not
being reported up to you.  By scrutinizing the SMTP exchange, which
you can capture with Ethereal, you might find an error message.

Rich Hammer

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Chandru wrote:
> Hi,
> Took me a bit of time to figure out that I need to point James to the
> apropriate dns server (default is localhost).  The nameservers are set
> correctly (I am using yahoo's namesservers currently).
>
> The emails seem to be going out from James:
>
> 10/11/03 20:21:50 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Attempting
> delivery of Mail1068513709624-10-to-yahoo.com to host
> mx1.mail.yahoo.com. to addresses [chandru@yahoo.com]
> 10/11/03 20:21:51 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Mail
> (Mail1068513709624-10-to-yahoo.com) sent successfully to
> mx1.mail.yahoo.com.

Your server is successfully delivering it to yahoo's mail server, so it
seems like it's a Yahoo! issue if it doesn't arrive in your mailbox.  I
could only guess that they have some spam blocking in place.

--
Serge Knystautas
President