Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> on 2015/06/29 23:01:09 UTC

mouse control is quirky and tempremental

Impress is driving me crazy trying to select stuff and move the text cursor.  OS X Yosemite, OO 4.1.1.

I see 3 different cursor shapes:  Black arrow, IBeam, and hand.

Trying to select a text box - e.g. the title box on a text slide is difficult.  Usually clicking on a corner does the job, if I have an arrow cursor. It sometimes works with a hand, but this is difficult because it's not obvious where in the hand image the cursor really is.  Sometimes it's not clear what clicking the hand is going to do:-(

Clicking on text usually puts the cursor there if it's an iBeam, but sometimes it seems to create a blued in box that I can't type into.

Is there a way to take more positive control over the cursor?  OO seems to roll the dice sometimes as to what kind of cursor I get and what happens when I click on a text box.  Sometimes I want to move or resize it; other times I want do delete it.

Is there any illumination anywhere in the tutorials?

tnx

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Ratliffe

Re: mouse control is quirky and temperamental

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 17:01 29/06/2015 -0400, Julian Thomas wrote:
>Impress is driving me crazy trying to select stuff and move the text
>cursor.  OS X Yosemite, OO 4.1.1.
>
>I see 3 different cursor shapes:  Black arrow, IBeam, and hand.
>Trying to select a text box - e.g. the title box on a text slide is
>difficult. Usually clicking on a corner does the job, if I have an
>arrow cursor. It sometimes works with a hand, but this is difficult
>because it's not obvious where in the hand image the cursor really
>is. Sometimes it's not clear what clicking the hand is going to
>do:-( Clicking on text usually puts the cursor there if it's an
>iBeam, but sometimes it seems to create a blued in box that I can't type into.
>
>Is there a way to take more positive control over the cursor? OO
>seems to roll the dice sometimes as to what kind of cursor I get and
>what happens when I click on a text box. Sometimes I want to move or
>resize it; other times I want do delete it.

I don't claim to understand this (you might want to read that
again!), but I may be able to suggest a few pointers (no pun intended).

o I imagine that OpenOffice is not being random here, but that the
pointer you see depends on what you have just done - what state the
program is in, that is - or what is already under your mouse pointer
or already selected.

o Mouse behaviour is usually heavily configurable in your operating
system or mouse software. You may want to investigate if changing
settings there is any help.

o There are some settings within Impress that may be relevant. See
Tools | Options... | OpenOffice Impress | General | Text objects |
Allow quick editing and ...| Only text area selectable. These and
more are available on the Options toolbar (View | Toolbars | Options)
as Allow Quick Editing, Select Text Area Only, and Double-click to
edit Text. You may want to see if these can help.

>Is there any illumination anywhere in the tutorials?

There is quite a bit about this buried in Chapter 3 of the Impress Guide.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: mouse control is quirky and tempremental

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 30 Jun 2015, at 7:01 am, Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> wrote:
>
> Impress is driving me crazy trying to select stuff and move the text cursor.  OS X Yosemite, OO 4.1.1.
>
> I see 3 different cursor shapes:  Black arrow, IBeam, and hand.
>
> Trying to select a text box - e.g. the title box on a text slide is difficult.  Usually clicking on a corner does the job, if I have an arrow cursor. It sometimes works with a hand, but this is difficult because it's not obvious where in the hand image the cursor really is.  Sometimes it's not clear what clicking the hand is going to do:-(
>
> Clicking on text usually puts the cursor there if it's an iBeam, but sometimes it seems to create a blued in box that I can't type into.

That's caused by you keyboard, hitting the insert key will change the appearance of the iBeam / character selection.

> Is there a way to take more positive control over the cursor?  OO seems to roll the dice sometimes as to what kind of cursor I get and what happens when I click on a text box.  Sometimes I want to move or resize it; other times I want do delete it.

You are in control, so take that opportunity.