Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by anjana_nair <si...@hotmail.com> on 2018/10/09 04:19:37 UTC

PuAll vs List

1.which is more performant -  aggregating on client side and storing objects
as a list and retrieving the whole object as an a list or

2. storing objects using putAll and running queries to get the objects.

--
Sent from: http://apache-geode-incubating-developers-forum.70738.x6.nabble.com/

Re: PuAll vs List

Posted by Jason Huynh <jh...@pivotal.io>.
I think this question is too abstract to have a great answer and also
depends on if you want the processing to occur on the client or server or
whether your client can hold entire lists of values...

The downside to option 1 is that you will need to retrieve the entire list
of objects, depending on the list size, serializing/deserializing the
entire list can be detrimental.  Especially if you were only looking for a
specific entry in the list.  You would have to iterate or query your list
on the client side without the help of the oql engine.
On the other side of option 1, if your region and data were small enough,
maybe you could even cache the data on the client using a caching proxy.

Storing objects on the server with a put all allows the processing to occur
on the servers.  Each value could be queried separately.

I'm sure others can chime in with better details/ideas/info