Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Nicola Butcher <Ni...@rms.com> on 2012/10/19 17:44:24 UTC

UDP Appender in a VPC

I have successfully set up a log4net UDP Appender in a non VPC environment = however when I try to do the same thing in a VPN I cannot get it to work. I=  have tried opening up all UDP in and outbound ports but it still doesn't n= ot work. My config is as follows.

<log4net debug=3D"true">
  <appender name=3D"logFaces" type=3D"log4net.Appender.UdpAppender">
      <param name=3D"RemoteAddress" value=3D"10.0.1.7"/>
      <param name=3D"RemotePort" value=3D"7071"/>
      <param name=3D"Encoding" value=3D"UTF-8"/>
      <layout type=3D"log4net.Layout.XmlLayoutSchemaLog4j, log4net">
        <locationInfo value=3D"true"/>
      </layout>
    </appender>
    <root>
      <priority value=3D"DEBUG" />
      <level value=3D"ALL" />
      <appender-ref ref=3D"logFaces"  />
    </root>
  </log4net>

Do I need to set the LocalPort as well as the Remote?

Thanks Nicki

This message and any attachments contain information that may be RMS Inc. confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), and have received this message in error, any use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.   If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail and permanently deleting the message from your computer and/or storage system.

RE: UDP Appender in a VPC

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
I'm glad you were able to sort out this problem on your own. For future
reference, you probably have run into LOG4NET-112:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-112

There should not have been any other changes to UdpAppender in the 1.2.11
release than adding IPv6 support.

Cheers
--
Dominik Psenner

RE: UDP Appender in a VPC

Posted by Nicola Butcher <Ni...@rms.com>.
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I  managed to solve this by using log4net 1.2.11 version - I was using 1.2.10 previously and although this worked in non VPC I guess there must have been some changes in 1.2.11 which affected internal IP addresses

Thanks Nicki

maybe your VPN tunnel does not transfer UDP packets? Can you prove that other UDP datagrams successfully transfer through the VPN?

Cheers,
D.

2012/10/19 Nicola Butcher <Ni...@rms.com>:
> I have successfully set up a log4net UDP Appender in a non VPC environment = however when I try to do the same thing in a VPN I cannot get it to work. I=  have tried opening up all UDP in and outbound ports but it still doesn't n= ot work. My config is as follows.
>
> <log4net debug=3D"true">
>   <appender name=3D"logFaces" type=3D"log4net.Appender.UdpAppender">
>       <param name=3D"RemoteAddress" value=3D"10.0.1.7"/>
>       <param name=3D"RemotePort" value=3D"7071"/>
>       <param name=3D"Encoding" value=3D"UTF-8"/>
>       <layout type=3D"log4net.Layout.XmlLayoutSchemaLog4j, log4net">
>         <locationInfo value=3D"true"/>
>       </layout>
>     </appender>
>     <root>
>       <priority value=3D"DEBUG" />
>       <level value=3D"ALL" />
>       <appender-ref ref=3D"logFaces"  />
>     </root>
>   </log4net>
>
> Do I need to set the LocalPort as well as the Remote?
>
> Thanks Nicki
>
> This message and any attachments contain information that may be RMS Inc. confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), and have received this message in error, any use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.   If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail and permanently deleting the message from your computer and/or storage system.

--
Dominik Psenner
## OpenPGP Key Signature #################################
# Key ID: B469318C                                       #
# Fingerprint: 558641995F7EC2D251354C3A49C7E3D1B469318C  # ##########################################################

Re: UDP Appender in a VPC

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi,