Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Manisha Sathe <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/24 10:22:58 UTC

Out of Memory problem

I am trying for one Chinese PDF. When i do not make use of Arial Unicode MS font then i do not get this error. All chinese characters are displayed as #. Once i use this font then i get this error (even if it is just 2-3 pages long - sometimes at very beginning i get the 1 page report - after that even not that)

I tried the the things mentined such as reduce the size of image, page sequence (do not know how to increase the JVM memory on fly) - also reset the Cache etc what ever given in docs, but still same.

The report is all full with chinese characters. On logger i do not see anything but on jsp page i get java lang out of memory error.

Is there any thing else which i can do here ?

regards
Manisha

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Out of Memory problem

Posted by Manisha Sathe <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Chris,

Would appreciate if u can explain more how shall i increase memory in my case ->

I am on Tomcat server and using servlet to render the fop. I am not using fop.bat file, Which script starts my JVM - really speaking i also do not know.

My servlet.jar / fop.jar and related files are inside /WEB-INF/lib directory.  I am compiling all files thr ant (all class path is set in CLASSPATH)

How can i increase memory so as to get correct font and pdf in my case?

regards
Manisha

Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Manisha Sathe wrote:

> I am trying for one Chinese PDF. When i do not make use of Arial Unicode
> MS font then i do not get this error. All chinese characters are
> displayed as #. Once i use this font then i get this error (even if it
> is just 2-3 pages long - sometimes at very beginning i get the 1 page
> report - after that even not that)
>
> I tried the the things mentined such as reduce the size of image, page
> sequence (do not know how to increase the JVM memory on fly) - also
> reset the Cache etc what ever given in docs, but still same.

To increase JVM memory, just change your FOP.bat or whatever script starts
your Java VM and specify command line parameter -Xmx256M. The default is 64Mb,
which isnt sufficient due to the large number of glyphs in The Arial Unicode font.

Chris

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Out of Memory problem

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Manisha Sathe wrote:

> I am trying for one Chinese PDF. When i do not make use of Arial Unicode
> MS font then i do not get this error. All chinese characters are
> displayed as #. Once i use this font then i get this error (even if it
> is just 2-3 pages long - sometimes at very beginning i get the 1 page
> report - after that even not that)
>
> I tried the the things mentined such as reduce the size of image, page
> sequence (do not know how to increase the JVM memory on fly) - also
> reset the Cache etc what ever given in docs, but still same.

To increase JVM memory, just change your FOP.bat or whatever script starts
your Java VM and specify command line parameter -Xmx256M. The default is 64Mb,
which isnt sufficient due to the large number of glyphs in The Arial Unicode font.

<snip/>

Chris