Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kaveh Goudarzi <ka...@itkaa.com> on 2009/03/13 16:21:43 UTC

install:install-file & Repository MetaData files maven-metadata-local.xml

Hi All,

   I've implemented a maven plugin which when installed via the "mvn
install" command as part of the build is installed "correctly" in the
local repository.  By adding the plugin group reference to the
~/.m2/settings.xml I'm able to then invoke the plugin using it's short
hand prefix or without specifying the version.  So far so good.

   However I find that when I send the users the jar file alone and
ask them to install the plugin using the following command

mvn install:install-file -Dfile=maven-mytest-plugin-1.1.jar \
                         -DgroupId=com.my.package \
                         -DartifactId=maven-mytest-plugin \
                         -Dpackaging=maven-plugin \
                         -Dversion=1.1 \
                         -DupdateReleaseInfo=true \
                         -DcreateChecksum=true \
                         -DgeneratePom=true

   The users always have to supply the full plugin
group:artifact-id:version:goal and are not able to use the short-hand
or the default latest version of the plugin.

	Comparing the maven repository files I see that when I install the
plugin on my dev machine using the mvn install command two crucial
files are created which are absent when the mvn install:install-file
command is invoked.  These are:

~/.m2/repositories/com/my/package/maven-metadata-local.xml
------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
  <plugins>
    <plugin>
      <name>maven-mytest-plugin Maven Mojo</name>
      <prefix>mytest</prefix>
      <artifactId>maven-mytest-plugin</artifactId>
    </plugin>
  </plugins>
</metadata>

and another one at

~/.m2/repositories/com/my/package/maven-mytest-plugin/maven-metadata-local.xml
------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
  <groupId>com.my.package</groupId>
  <artifactId>maven-mytest-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>1.1</version>
  <versioning>
    <latest>1.1</latest>
    <versions>
      <version>1.1</version>
    </versions>
    <lastUpdated>20090312204457</lastUpdated>
  </versioning>
</metadata>

	These two files appear to be crucial in allowing me to invoke the
plugin using the long-hand but not specifying the version and for it
to default to the latest version and also to allow the short hand
prefix invocation.

	So my questions is what is the correct way of installing such a
plugin? ... am I missing some crucial step?  I found this link but
couldn't understand if it applies
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Repository+Metadata

	I'm using 2.0.9 writing plugins in java

mvn -version
Maven version: 2.0.9
Java version: 1.5.0_16
OS name: "mac os x" version: "10.5.6" arch: "i386" Family: "unix"

thanks in advance for you help + kind regards,

Kaveh.

Re: install:install-file & Repository MetaData files maven-metadata-local.xml

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Yes it is definately dirty. Using a repo is the cleanest way

--Brian (mobile)

Posted by Kaveh Goudarzi <ka...@itkaa.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.