Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2010/02/09 06:22:45 UTC

Source code dumps via JIRA?

For OODT, we think we want to import the prior history of the project
into the podling via a Subversion dump file. However, in:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-import-code-dump

it says:

---
In either case, the code to be imported should be attached to a JIRA
and then imported. It is recommended that the previous version control
system is tagged so that the imported version is precisely known.

A public record MUST be made of the code imported. If the import is
not attached to JIRA then it MUST be committed to version control.
---

I can understand the rationale for having a public record, but I'm not
seeing the reasoning for JIRA.

Can someone please shed some light on this?  Is this really reflective
of actual best practices?

As a counter-example, I'd believe providing a URL to the dump (or
uploading it to people.a.o) and providing a SHA checksum via email
(PGP-signed?) would be sufficient for our purposes.  -- justin

Re: Source code dumps via JIRA?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org> wrote:
>> For most projects they just put a URL in the jira, and Joe just imports it.
>
> So, is this just a failure of the documentation to reflect what is
> actually done?

more a case of best practice evolving, i think

> If so, I'm happy to update the documentation.

cool

- robert

Re: Source code dumps via JIRA?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org> wrote:
> For most projects they just put a URL in the jira, and Joe just imports it.

So, is this just a failure of the documentation to reflect what is
actually done?

If so, I'm happy to update the documentation.  -- justin

Re: Source code dumps via JIRA?

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
For most projects they just put a URL in the jira, and Joe just
imports it.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> For OODT, we think we want to import the prior history of the project
> into the podling via a Subversion dump file. However, in:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-import-code-dump
>
> it says:
>
> ---
> In either case, the code to be imported should be attached to a JIRA
> and then imported. It is recommended that the previous version control
> system is tagged so that the imported version is precisely known.
>
> A public record MUST be made of the code imported. If the import is
> not attached to JIRA then it MUST be committed to version control.
> ---
>
> I can understand the rationale for having a public record, but I'm not
> seeing the reasoning for JIRA.
>
> Can someone please shed some light on this?  Is this really reflective
> of actual best practices?

that part of the document's a draft - just a starting point. most of
it is just collected practice, not necessarily best. someone needs to
pick it up and drive it through a review process so that best practice
can emerge. one way of doing the review would be to pick sections like
this an throw it open for comments and improvements before you try to
apply the guidelines.

or just patch it as you go

- robert

Re: Source code dumps via JIRA?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi All,

> For OODT, we think we want to import the prior history of the project
> into the podling via a Subversion dump file. However, in:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-import-code-dump
>
> it says:
>
> ---
> In either case, the code to be imported should be attached to a JIRA
> and then imported. It is recommended that the previous version control
> system is tagged so that the imported version is precisely known.
>
> A public record MUST be made of the code imported. If the import is
> not attached to JIRA then it MUST be committed to version control.
> ---
>
> I can understand the rationale for having a public record, but I'm not
> seeing the reasoning for JIRA.
>
> Can someone please shed some light on this?  Is this really reflective
> of actual best practices?
>
> As a counter-example, I'd believe providing a URL to the dump (or
> uploading it to people.a.o) and providing a SHA checksum via email
> (PGP-signed?) would be sufficient for our purposes.  -- justin

My (non-binding) +1 to this.

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Source code dumps via JIRA?