Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> on 2009/04/17 03:15:03 UTC

Re: Java and tomcat version for ofbiz

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Getting+Started
release 4.0 ver 1.4 tomcat 5
trunk  ver 1.5 tomcat 6
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos+and+Diagrams

Mustansar Mehmood sent the following on 4/16/2009 5:54 PM:

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
OFBiz will run fine on Java 6, but that is not well supported on all
platforms and has various backward compatibility problems, so for now
we've decided not to require it.

After the upcoming release branch (should happen tonight actually...)
we may very well decide to require Java 6 or later.

BTW, one small comments about the Java 5 EOL: Sun has run into
significant issues with Java 7 because they have tried to make it look
more community driven (with open source, the JCP, etc) and many people
trying to help with Java are frustrated by Sun still doing whatever
they want, and so are blocking progress on Java 7. It appears that
part of the reason for the sooner than expected EOL of Java 5 is that
Sun wants to do what they can to push back.

-David

Posted by Mustansar Mehmood <mu...@hrshaikh.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.