Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Tom Bednarz <li...@bednarz.ch> on 2001/10/08 11:36:59 UTC

Using Log4J in libraries

Hi,

I started using Log4J and it works fine so far. Now I have a question for a quite common problem:

I like to use Log4J inside libraries I write. The problem with this is, that I do not know in what context these libraries are beeing used and therefore it is difficult to configure the library.

Exemple:

I have written classes for database connection pooling. I use them in many programs from GUI applications, to CORBA middleware to web applications. So far I used to have one configuration file per application for Log4J.

Sometimes it would be good to simply add the output of the pool library to the appenders defined in the application that is using it. However, sometimes it would be good, to create a separate appender only for the output of the pool library (e.g. in applications doing a lot of database operations).

Could anybody give me a hint, how this goal could be best achieved?

Many thanks!

Thomas