Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jon Paynter <ki...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/30 00:18:37 UTC

using release:branch

Im trying to get the release:branch goal to create a new branch in my scm
with a given version number, but it doesnt appear to be working.  Ive tried
various combinations of parameters from the release:prepare page, but none
of them seem to do what I want.

so far I have this:
mvn release:branch -DbranchName=TestBranch -DreleaseVersion=2.1.1
-DautoVersionSubmodules=true -DupdateWorkingCopyVersions=false
-DupdateBranchVersions=true -DupdateVersionsToSnapshot=false

When everything is done I want the following:
 - a new branch created named 'test branch'
 - pom files in the new branch updated to 2.1.1
 - do not prompt me for every single new version number
 - current branch should be left unchanged

So far what it seems to do is update my pom files to the new version number,
commit that, then change everything back to the starting version number,
commit that, make a new branch, and commit that.  ending up with a new
branch with no visible changes.

is it possible to do this with just 1 maven command?

Re: using release:branch

Posted by Zac Thompson <za...@gmail.com>.
> Our scm here is git

Which version of the release plugin?  Make sure you are using the latest.

>> > so far I have this:
>> > mvn release:branch -DbranchName=TestBranch -DreleaseVersion=2.1.1
>> > -DautoVersionSubmodules=true -DupdateWorkingCopyVersions=false
>> > -DupdateBranchVersions=true -DupdateVersionsToSnapshot=false
>>
>> I haven't used that particular approach before, but most of what you
>> have should work.
>>
>> However, I don't understand what the point is of a branch with a fixed
>> version on it?  Namely, the "-DreleaseVersion=2.1.1
>> -DupdateVersionsToSnapshot=false" combination doesn't seem to make
>> sense to me.  Does the plugin work as expected with something closer
>> to a default configuration?
>>
> Mabye I dont understand the purpose of the plugin....
>
> my goal is to create a new branch from trunk or 'master' in git) with a new
> version number so development can start work on a new set of changes.
> So if the current branch is v2.0, i want to create a new branch labeled 2.1
> (or 2.1-SNAPSHOT), and hand that to the developers to start work.
>  Meanwhile, the current v 2.0 "trunk" should remain unchanged since thats
> the current production version, and I dont want to mess with it.   After
> development on v2.1 is done, it will be merged back into the trunk branch
> and released to the users.

Sounds like the "-DupdateVersionsToSnapshot=false" part is definitely
incorrect; you want SNAPSHOT versions right?

Try it without this flag; all the others look correct to me but I
don't use the plugin with git.

> I would much rather issue a single maven command to create the branch rather
> than having to run several commands in a row:   create branch, switch
> branches, update pom versions, and checkin changes (4 commands vs 1).
> If the release plugin is not the right tool for this job - what would be?

The release plugin is the right tool, or it should be.  If you can't
get it working for you, I would suggest using your 4 steps above and
submit a JIRA issue against the release plugin (the root cause might
be the git scm provider but I doubt it).

Re: using release:branch

Posted by Jon Paynter <ki...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Zac Thompson <za...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Jon Paynter <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Im trying to get the release:branch goal to create a new branch in my scm
> > with a given version number, but it doesnt appear to be working.  Ive
> tried
> > various combinations of parameters from the release:prepare page, but
> none
> > of them seem to do what I want.
>
> Which version of the release plugin are you using?  Which SCM provider?

Thanks for the reply.
Our scm here is git

Re: using release:branch

Posted by Zac Thompson <za...@gmail.com>.