Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2015/09/29 08:05:33 UTC

OVS documentation

http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/en/master/networking/ovs-plugin.html
has the following sentence:
"CentOS 6.4 and OpenvSwitch 1.10 are recommended." These seem to be very
old. Are they really the recommended versions?

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: OVS documentation

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> On Sep 30, 2015, at 4:20 PM, Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>
> On 30/09/2015 6:33 AM, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
>>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 2:06 PM, Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can someone fix this?
>>>
>> Honestly Ron, the issue is that very few people are actually using the GRE isolation.
>>
>> One would need to test it with the latest cloudstack 4.5.2 and latest OVS to see if it works with newer versions….
> Any suggestions about what to say or is it best left "as is"
>> -sebastien
>>
>>> Does anyone know what the correct recommendation should be?
>>>
>>> Is anyone interested in the documentation?
>> Of course...
> Sorry if that seemed rhetorical.
> I was hoping to find an actual volunteer to work with or to help point me to areas that are known to need editing.
>

>>> I am trying to read it all with an outsider's eye and identify areas that I have trouble understanding.
>>> Is it customary to use the Dev list or just create JIRA Issues.
>>>
>> for questions from the user side, usually it’s better to hit the users@ list.
>> But you can create JIRA issues as well, if it’s an error.
>>
>> Ideally, once you test it on newer versions, you can also submit a github PR to make the required change in the docs. We will happily merge.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by testing.

I mean actually deploying a GRE based network for cloudstack. That way you will know if it works with the latest version of centos and OVS.

> I am probably going to limit my efforts to editing and will depend on others to suggest content and verify the accuracy of changes since I am too new to CloudStack and do not have a CloudStack test environment to use for testing.

Maybe you could try to deploy it on one node, that will help you understand and check the docs.

Re: OVS documentation

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Re: OVS documentation

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.