Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> on 2012/04/21 03:02:00 UTC

Hadoop-1.0.3 and 1.1 release / code freeze proposals

Hi all,
a couple major bugs have shown up in Hadoop-1.0.2.  I propose to make a
1.0.3 release containing fixes for:
  - MAPREDUCE-4154
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4154> streaming
MR job succeeds even if the streaming command fails
  - HDFS-119 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-119> logSync() may
block NameNode forever.
We will also accept the following bug fixes already committed to branch-1.0
(see
CHANGES.txt): HADOOP-6924, HADOOP-6941, HADOOP-8188, HDFS-3127,
MAPREDUCE-3377, HADOOP-5528, HADOOP-6963, HADOOP-8251, HADOOP-8293.

If there are other critical bugs you would like to see in 1.0.3, please let
me know by end of day Monday, 4/23.  I'll start the process of making a
1.0.3 RC-1 on Tuesday.

Also, it seems that it is time to do a 1.1 release.  Some 80 bug fixes and
enhancements have accumulated in branch-1.  Hopefully they've all been
properly reviewed and unit tested!  Let's declare a code freeze for 1.1 at
the end of this month.  At that time I will make a branch-1.1 and a release
candidate for 1.1.0.

Thank you,
--Matt

RE: Hadoop-1.0.3 and 1.1 release / code freeze proposals

Posted by Tim Broberg <Ti...@exar.com>.
WHat needs to happen for HADOOP-7823 to get committed for 1.1.0?

    - Tim.

[...]

The information contained in this email is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above.  The information and any attached documents contained in this message may be Exar confidential and/or legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, dissemination or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email and delete the original message.

Re: Hadoop-1.0.3 and 1.1 release / code freeze proposals

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I found HDFS-1041 missing from branch-1.
Since it was committed to  0.20.2 and yahoo-merge before the creation of 0.20-security, I think it got dropped by accident.

Kihwal

On 4/24/12 2:27 PM, "Eli Collins" <el...@cloudera.com> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> a couple major bugs have shown up in Hadoop-1.0.2.  I propose to make a
> 1.0.3 release containing fixes for:
>  - MAPREDUCE-4154
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4154> streaming
> MR job succeeds even if the streaming command fails
>  - HDFS-119 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-119> logSync() may
> block NameNode forever.
> We will also accept the following bug fixes already committed to branch-1.0
> (see
> CHANGES.txt): HADOOP-6924, HADOOP-6941, HADOOP-8188, HDFS-3127,
> MAPREDUCE-3377, HADOOP-5528, HADOOP-6963, HADOOP-8251, HADOOP-8293.
>
> If there are other critical bugs you would like to see in 1.0.3, please let
> me know by end of day Monday, 4/23.  I'll start the process of making a
> 1.0.3 RC-1 on Tuesday.
>
> Also, it seems that it is time to do a 1.1 release.  Some 80 bug fixes and
> enhancements have accumulated in branch-1.  Hopefully they've all been
> properly reviewed and unit tested!  Let's declare a code freeze for 1.1 at
> the end of this month.  At that time I will make a branch-1.1 and a release
> candidate for 1.1.0.
>
> Thank you,
> --Matt

I think HDFS-3310 is worth getting into 1.1, and potentially 1.0.3 (or
.4 if it's not done in time).

Re: Hadoop-1.0.3 and 1.1 release / code freeze proposals

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
I also think we need two minor build problems fixed:

HDFS-3316
HADOOP-8307

-- Owen

Re: Hadoop-1.0.3 and 1.1 release / code freeze proposals

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> I think HADOOP-8294 is a good candidate to include. Without this, a transient dns problem can make a large number of data nodes unavailable.  The fix is backport of HADOOP-7428.

I'm +1 on HADOOP-8294 (aka HADOOP-7428). Matt?

Re: Hadoop-1.0.3 and 1.1 release / code freeze proposals

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.
You might consider pulling in these 4 jira. The are all minor but aid in
debugging: MAPREDUCE-4012, MAPREDUCE-4003,  MAPREDUCE-1238, and
MAPREDUCE-4017.  These are all already in 1.1.0.

Tom