Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by "Tencé, Vincent" <vt...@optimuminformatique.com> on 2004/06/30 17:24:57 UTC

Access to Janus svn

Yesterday I met with a friend - his name is Jorge - who's interested in
helping out with Janus (to start with).  We discussed the vision for the
framework and we decided the best way for him to jump in was to get familiar
with the code/concepts/... by writing an example application that uses
Janus. We could make that example app the reference example in the future.

Do you think it will be possible to give him commit access to Janus (at
least the sandbox in the Janus sub-project) to make things easier? If yes,
what is required? I suppose he needs to pick a username. Anything else?

Thanks,
Vincent

RE: Access to Janus svn

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 12:11, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I'm hanging out on our IRC channel (#directory-dev) wanna stop
> > by and talk?
>
> Let's make decisions here, please.  :-)

Never fear. I intended to do so.

RE: Access to Janus svn

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Access to Janus svn

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
I'm hanging out on our IRC channel (#directory-dev) wanna stop by and
talk?

Alex

Re: Access to Janus svn

Posted by Jeff Machols <jm...@comcast.net>.
On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 12:20, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> I don't think we have that kind of authorization granularity with our
> present svn configuration (we might though).  Perhaps Noel can chime in
> and give us an idea of exactly what we can and cannot do.  However I
> think if we grant karma it should be to the whole directory project.

Subversion has that kind of granularity, but I am not sure what the
policies are for this.  Both ways to do this in SVN require admin
changes, since all projects are in one repo, I am guessing they do want
to administer directory level access across all the projects in the
repo.

Re: Access to Janus svn

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 11:24, "Tencé, Vincent" wrote:
> Yesterday I met with a friend - his name is Jorge - who's interested in
> helping out with Janus (to start with).

That's fantastic welcome Jorge!  Have him give a post and introduce
himself :-).

> We discussed the vision for the
> framework and we decided the best way for him to jump in was to get familiar
> with the code/concepts/... by writing an example application that uses
> Janus. We could make that example app the reference example in the future.

You probably have a vision statement in your xdocs waiting for a site
update but if you don't perhaps Jorge can put it there.  Perhaps he can
elaborate on some of your xdocs as well.  Fresh new eyes are always
good.

> Do you think it will be possible to give him commit access to Janus (at
> least the sandbox in the Janus sub-project) to make things easier?

I don't think we have that kind of authorization granularity with our
present svn configuration (we might though).  Perhaps Noel can chime in
and give us an idea of exactly what we can and cannot do.  However I
think if we grant karma it should be to the whole directory project.

> If yes,
> what is required? I suppose he needs to pick a username. Anything else?

First off we need to follow the Apache procedures.  It seems like you
trust and have an interest in mentoring and/or sponsoring Jorge.  If you
want to go through the motions you can serve for some time as his
gateway into the repository.  Jorge can checkout the repo at will so
access to it is there although committer (write) privledges are not.
You can commit changes on his behalf after validating them.

He should start attaching patches and work on JIRA issues to demonstrate
his interest and contributions to the community.  You can then review
his work and check it in on his behalf as his sponsor.  When you are
confident in his abilities you can request a vote on the PPMC list to
grant him karma to the repository so he can become a full fledged
committer.  It's up to you to determine when to conduct the vote.  You
gauge his progress and make that call.  I'm sure others will watch as
well so they can vote in an educated fashion.  Then the community votes
and decides on the ppmc list ONLY.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Alex